One dead, six hurt in Philippines blastFebruary 29th, 2008 - 12:20 am ICT by admin
General Santos City (Philippines), Feb 28 (DPA) One person was killed and six were injured in a suspected bomb explosion in southern Philippines, the police said Thursday. The lone fatality was believed to have been carrying the explosive device in the attack late Wednesday in General Santos City, 1,065 km south of Manila.
The blast occurred near the city hall where a street dance was being held as part of General Santos’ founding anniversary, the city police director said.
He said investigators recovered a “busted belt bag with a cellular phone” from the suspected bomber, whose affiliation was still being verified.
Investigators have also yet to determine the type of explosives used in the attack.
Last month, four people were killed and 30 wounded in a bomb attack on a tuna canning factory in General Santos City, an attack blamed on an extortionist gang.
General Santos has been hit by terrorist bombings in the past. The attacks were mostly blamed on such Al Qaeda-linked groups as the Abu Sayyaf and the Jemaah Islamiyah.
- Bali bombing suspect arrives in Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Over 40 killed in Philippines fighting - Aug 13, 2009
- Pakistan to hand over Bali bombing suspect to Indonesia - Aug 10, 2011
- Bali bomb suspect Umar Petek extradited from Pakistan to Indonesia - Aug 11, 2011
- Top Philippine rebel captured - Mar 14, 2012
- At least 4 people killed and 14 injured after bus bomb in Philippines - Jan 25, 2011
- Militants kill three hostages in Philippines - Jun 12, 2010
- Pakistani-American pleads guilty to terror charges - Mar 01, 2012
- Bali bomb-maker jailed for 20 years - Jun 21, 2012
- Indonesia sends police to confirm Bali bomb terrorist arrest in Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- Quake jolts Philippines - Aug 30, 2011
- Murdered vice mayor captures killer in photo in Philippines - Jan 05, 2011
- Militants kill 13 in Philippines - Feb 27, 2010
- Aussie travel warning for Indonesia following arrest of Bali bombing suspect in Pak - Apr 01, 2011
- 11 killed in militant attack in Philippines (Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: abu sayyaf, al qaeda, bomb attack, bomb explosion, canning factory, cellular phone, city hall, city police, dpa, explosive device, explosives, fatality, general santos city, general santos city philippines, investigators, jemaah islamiyah, police director, southern philippines, street dance, terrorist bombings