Onassis heiress to sell off her mothers pricey jewelsJune 10th, 2008 - 7:36 pm ICT by ANI
New York, June 10 (ANI): Athina Roussel, the daughter of Christina Onassis and the only living descendant of her grandfather Aristotle Onassis, the Greek shipping magnate, is selling millions of pounds of jewellery she inherited.
When Athina was only 10 years old, she declared she would give her fortune away, reports the New York Daily News.
The 23-year-old, who inherited a fortune estimated at 2 billion dollars, has put her mothers jewelry collection, valued at approximately 16 million dollars, up for auction at Christies in London.
Christina died 20 years ago when Athina was only three and she used to wear the pieces constantly.
However, Athina reportedly sees them as irrelevant to her own lifestyle.
Among the items on display are a 38-carat diamond, expected to fetch 4.4 million dollars, and a rare Buddha by Carl Faberge, jewelry-maker to the last Russian czar, whose value is estimated at 500,000 dollars to 700,000 dollars. (ANI)
- Australian Billionaire Gina Rinehart is now the world's richest woman - May 24, 2012
- Onassis diamonds dazzle at London auction - Jun 12, 2008
- Christie's to auction "giant pearl" - Mar 30, 2011
- Liz Taylor's $150M jewellery collection to go under the hammer - Mar 29, 2011
- Play's 'Aristotle behind Kennedy death' claim angers Onassis family - Oct 23, 2010
- Mexican Carlos Slim tops world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Australian woman may become richest in world - Jun 28, 2011
- Taylor's pearl fetches record money - Dec 14, 2011
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- Mexico's Carlos Slim is the richest man in the world - Mar 12, 2010
- Paris Hilton sued for not returning $60K in borrowed Damiani jewelry - Apr 07, 2011
- The $1.6m car that has diamonds, rubies...and seats made of whale penis! - Oct 16, 2009
- World's most expensive Barbie up for grabs at $500K - Oct 07, 2010
- Rare pink diamond sold for 29 million pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Late Jackie Onassis' advice on marriage to young women - Jun 01, 2009
Tags: aristotle onassis, athina roussel, billion dollars, buddha, carat diamond, carl faberge, christies, christina onassis, descendant, faberge jewelry, greek shipping magnate, heiress, jewellery, jewelry collection, jewelry maker, jewels, last russian czar, million dollars, new york daily news, york daily news