On world tour, Olympic flame arrives in AlmatyApril 1st, 2008 - 6:20 pm ICT by admin
Almaty (Kazakhstan), April 1 (Xinhua) A chartered Air China plane carrying the Beijing Olympic flame arrived Tuesday afternoon at Kazakhstan’s largest city of Almaty, the first stop of the global torch relay. The Almaty torch relay will set out from the Medeu ice skating rink Wednesday. There will be four other sites for the audience to welcome the Olympic flame — the Medeu dam in south-eastern Almaty, the Republic Palace, the Republic Square and the Astana Square in the downtown area.
Eighty torchbearers will cover the 20 kilometres distance. After the race, the Olympic flame will head for its next stop — Istanbul.
Earlier, the torch relay officially started from Beijing on its world tour covering a 137,000-kilometer journey.
The 2008 Olympic torch was lit eight days ago in Ancient Olympia, Greece, and was hauled back to Beijing Monday. During its one-day stop in China’s capital, where the 29th Olympic Games start Aug 8, the flame was given a warm-hearted welcome ceremony at Tian’anmen Square.
Chinese President Hu Jintao declared the start of the Beijing Olympic torch relay at the ceremony, marking the official start of the domestic and international torch relay that will end Aug 8 with the Games’ opening ceremony.
Following the footsteps of the 2004 Athens Games, the Beijing relay is the longest and most ambitious ever planned and will last 130 days.
The holy fire of the Olympics will also reach Mount Qomolangma, the world’s highest peak. It will be the first time for the Olympic torch relay to be held on the 8,844.43-meter mountain.
According to earlier reports, workers in Almaty worked over time ahead of the torch’s arrival. Still celebrating a traditional festival in holiday, staff deputed for the torch relay in the municipal city stayed in their offices on extra shift.
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Olympic flame travels to Dublin - Jun 06, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Russia plans to send Olympic torch into space - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: air china, almaty kazakhstan, ancient olympia greece, athens games, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, holy fire, hu jintao, kilometer journey, mount qomolangma, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic torch relay, opening ceremony, president hu jintao, skating rink, tian anmen, torchbearers, welcome ceremony, xinhua