Omega-3 pills unable to prevent heart attacksSeptember 12th, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 12 (IANS) Popping pills of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, the type found in oily fish like salmon, may not help prevent heart attacks, although previous research suggested that they protect against cardiovascular diseases.
The latest research, based on an analysis of 20 studies involving almost 70,000 patients, found that taking the pills did not lower heart attack or stroke risks, or even death rates from heart problems or any other cause.
The previous theory held that fish oil supplements help make the blood less ’sticky’ and lower blood pressure by relaxing vessels, thus making heart attacks and strokes less likely, the “Journal of the American Medical Association” (JAMA) reports.
“Our findings do not justify the use of omega-3 as a structured intervention in everyday clinical practice or guidelines supporting dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid administration,” said Evangelos Rizos from the University Hospital of Ioannina, Greece, according to the Telegraph.
The relevance of the JAMA study has been called into question by the Health Supplements Information Service, which is funded by manufacturers. Carrie Ruxton, from the service, said: “Omega-3 fatty acids are well known for their heart health benefits, and there is a significant body of evidence to prove that.”
- Omega-3 fatty acids limit smoking damage - Apr 22, 2012
- Vegan lifestyle 'ups risk of heart attack, stroke' - Apr 07, 2011
- Eating fish powers brain - Oct 25, 2011
- Omega-3 eases anxiety among young - Jul 14, 2011
- What's good for women's heart? Baked mackerel! - May 25, 2011
- Eat light, healthy food to stay cool this summer: Doctors - May 17, 2012
- Giving fish oil capsules to heart patients can save 10,000 lives a year - Sep 02, 2010
- Unique genetic adaptation helped our brain grow - Apr 13, 2012
- Omega-3 fatty acids boon for undersized babies - Feb 22, 2012
- How omega-3 fatty acids keep blindness at bay - Feb 10, 2011
- Fish oil supplements 'don't boost brain power' - Apr 22, 2010
- Fish oil may protect against stroke - Oct 02, 2009
- Go for dark chocolate, red wine to keep your partner heart-healthy this Valentine's - Feb 11, 2011
- Fish oil does not improve memory of elderly - Apr 22, 2010
- Eating fish oil while pregnant may cut risk of postpartum depression - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,