Olympic torch relay starts in China’s Salt Lake cityJune 22nd, 2008 - 9:51 am ICT by IANS
Golmud (China), June 22 (Xinhua) The Olympic torch relay kicked off its Qinghai leg Sunday morning in Golmud, known as China’s “Salt Lake city”. Thousands of residents from the city and neighbouring counties gathered on the Salt Lake Square watching the starting ceremony of torch relay.
The ceremony began at 9 a.m. with a one-minute silence to pay respect to the victims in the catastrophic May 12 quake in Sichuan province, which claimed more than 69,000 lives.
Qiang Wei, Communist Party chief of Qinghai province, passed the torch to the first torchbearer, Cega, a Tibetan man known as “Tibetan Antelope Guard” who spent more than 10 years on anti-poaching in the nearby Hol Xil Nature Reserve.
“As the first torchbearer, I’m very proud and excited,” said Cega right before the start-up. “Wish the Beijing Olympics a perfect games.”
The second torchbearer is Liu Shengchun, a local private entrepreneur whose company donated Kunlun Jade worth of 36 million yuan to the Beijing Olympic organizers for making the Olympic medal.
A total of 171 torchbearers will run the 7.5-km route in this leg of torch relay.
- Olympic torch relay begins at Salt Lake City in China - Jun 22, 2008
- Tibetan antelope population rises in China reserve - Aug 10, 2012
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Tibetan cartoon series to be shown on Chinese TV - Dec 03, 2011
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Olympic Torch sold for over £150,000 on the auction site eBay - May 22, 2012
- Two Tibetans set themselves on fire in China - Jun 21, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, catastrophic, city thousands, communist party chief, golmud china, minute silence, nature reserve, neighbouring counties, olympic medal, olympic organizers, olympic torch relay, perfect games, private entrepreneur, salt lake city, sichuan province, tibetan antelope, torchbearer, torchbearers, xinhua, yuan