Olympic torch relay sets off in QuanzhouMay 12th, 2008 - 3:16 pm ICT by admin
Quanzhou (China), May 12 (Xinhua) The Beijing Olympic torch relay started Monday in China’s southeastern coastal city Quanzhou, the third stop in Fujian province. After the relay started at the front square of China Museum for Fujian-Taiwan at 8:23 a.m. local time, the 20-kilometre relay stretched through the city’s historic sites and landmarks, including Riverside Road, Linzhang Gate, Jiangbin SportsPark, Dapingshan Tunnel, before reaching its destination - the square in front of the Straits Sports Centre, where a ceremony is scheduled.
Tens of thousands of local residents dressed in red lined the streets, waving national flags and carrying the logos and banners for the Beijing Olympics, which will be held Aug 8-24.
Crowds chanted “Jia You, Beijing!” and “Go, go, go!” all along the torch relay.
A total of 108 torchbearers, including athletes, local officials, workers, businessmen, teachers and students, were lined up to run through the city.
Ding Shuibo, 38, who is a manufacturer of a sneaker branded Tebu, was picked up to carry the torch at the second leg.
“I’m excited and honoured at the moment when I hold up the torch. I will keep the memory for life,” Ding said.
“As I have been lucky enough to get a ticket to this Olympics, I am going to Beijing to watch the games and cheer for Chinese athletes this August,” he added.
Quanzhou is known as one of the most famous hometowns of overseas Chinese and major ancestral homes of Han Chinese.
It is one of the first 24 renowned historic cities named by the State Council, and also the departure point of the ancient “Maritime Silk Route”.
Besides, Quanzhou boasts booming individual businesses, making it one of the fastest developing and most dynamic economic zones in China.
- Olympic torch to pass through Quanzhou, Xiame - May 11, 2008
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Shanghai faces labour crisis - Apr 26, 2012
- Over 150,000 Chinese evacuated as Typhoon Megi approaches - Oct 22, 2010
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Big cities losing appeal for Chinese youths - Apr 12, 2010
- Housing turns into costly affair in China - Feb 20, 2011
- Over 30 ancient shipwrecks found near China coast - Dec 13, 2010
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- China to send 396-strong team to London Olympics - Jul 10, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
Tags: beijing olympics, businessmen, cheer, chinese athletes, coastal city, crowds, departure point, economic zones, hometowns, kilometre, national flags, olympic torch relay, quanzhou china, riverside road, silk route, sneaker, sports centre, tebu, torchbearers, xinhua