Olympic torch arrives in San FranciscoApril 8th, 2008 - 9:17 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 8 (DPA) The Olympic torch arrived in San Francisco Tuesday on the latest leg of its journey around the globe before arriving in China ahead of the 2008 Beijing Games. Security was high in the Californian city to protect the torch, which had to be extinguished three times in Paris Monday because of protests, before organizers in the French capital decided to cut short the route.
Officials said the torch was taken to an undisclosed location in the city where thousands are expected to demonstrate Wednesday against China’s human rights record.
On Monday, activists scaled the Golden Gate Bridge in protest. San Francisco is the only North American stop for the torch.
- '60 Minutes' Of CBS Asserts That The Future Of Bay Bridge Is Precariously Placed - Apr 26, 2010
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- 50-year hunt continue for Alcatraz inmates - Jun 10, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Approaching Olympic torch sets San Francisco simmering - Apr 08, 2008
- Hillary Clinton urges Olympics ceremony boycott - Apr 08, 2008
- Tony Bennett sings 'God Bless America' in the World Series Game - Oct 28, 2010
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Kobe, LeBron to tour China after Olympics - Aug 11, 2012
- China creating eight-legged Bruce Lee sculpture to compete with Statue of Liberty - Aug 18, 2010
- Olympic torch hidden, route changed to thwart protestors - Apr 10, 2008
- Chinese student saves man from train, may lose legs - Jul 16, 2012
- 1932 Olympics: Despite groupism India won their second gold (Sports Special) - Jul 07, 2012
- Gay rights group to honour Cattrall - May 10, 2011
Tags: 2008 beijing, activists, californian city, china, dpa, french capital, games, globe, golden gate, golden gate bridge, journey, olympic torch, organizers, paris, protest, protests, san francisco, three times, undisclosed location