Olympic pandas return home after Beijing missionMarch 23rd, 2009 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 23 (ANI): A large number of well-wishers turned up at the Beijing Zoo to say good-bye to eight panda cubs who wrapped up their Olympic mission and returned home.
The pandas had been sent to Beijing Zoo from Sichuan province, southwest China, to bring extra cheer to visitors during the Beijing 2008 Olympics. The adorable cubs remained playful and naughty despite it being their last day in the capital.
I really dont want them to leave. They have brought me so many good memories, like the Olympics. I really wish they could stay in Beijing for good, the China Daily quoted Liu Ping, as saying.
The Olympic pandas were flown to Beijing on May 24 last year, earlier than expected, after their home, the China Giant Panda Protection and Research Centre in Wolong, was severely damaged in the May 12 earthquake.
I am not disappointed at all about the pandas departure. Actually, I am really glad to see them returning to Sichuan, where their home is, said Quan Hao, 33, from Beijing.
He also hoped the cubs could leave behind the trauma caused by the quake and start a new chapter of their lives when they go back to Sichuan, like their brave human friends have.
More than 2.1 million tourists watched the cubs nine-month stay in the capital. The Beijing Zoo made its best effort to accommodate the VIPs.
A 4.5-million-yuan glass-walled compound with features simulating their natural habitat helped the traumatized pandas recover from the earthquake.
The eight Olympic pandas were taken off display on Sunday and loaded on to a truck surrounded by heavy security. The cubs were kept in individual cages with their favourite food - bamboo. (ANI)
- Panda Quan Quan's death blamed on gas poisoning - Jul 28, 2010
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- China's 'spoilt' pandas - Jun 18, 2011
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- US-born panda Hua Mei gives birth to her 8th cub in China - Sep 20, 2010
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- Chinese pandas are Scotland's new celebrity couple - Dec 04, 2011
- China releases pregnant pandas into the wild - Jul 26, 2010
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- Artificial insemination planned for mainland's giant panda in Taiwan - Feb 11, 2011
- Panda twins born in China - Jul 11, 2012
- Who wants to be a Chinese 'pambassador'? - Aug 20, 2010
- Want to be a panda keeper? - Sep 28, 2010
- Dog plays mom to three tiger cubs - Jun 11, 2012
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
Tags: 2008 olympics, beijing 2008 olympics, beijing zoo, best effort, china daily, favourite food, giant panda, hao, heavy security, human friends, natural habitat, olympic mission, panda cubs, pandas, sichuan province, southwest china, vips, walled compound, well wishers, wolong