Olympic medallist Carl Lewis in race for New Jersey SenateApril 13th, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 13 (ANI): Former Olympic champion Carl Lewis has announced his plans to enter the American political arena and run for the New Jersey state senate.
The athletics legend said he wants to help struggling children, families and pensioners in the region where he grew up.
Lewis, 49, announced that he would run as a Democrat to challenge Republican Senator Dawn Addiego.
“When I run, you can see my record, I run to win,” the Guardian quoted Lewis, as saying.
He said he was running to help young people, improve education and aid pensioners.
“My focus will be on children, on the future. We cannot rest until we make sure that our families can afford to live and raise their kids here, that our seniors can remain in their homes and afford their health and pharmaceutical costs,” said Lewis.
Lewis, who won Olympic gold medals in the 100-meter, 200-meter, long jump and sprint relay race, is considered one of the best track and field athletes in the United States. (ANI)
- Olympic medallist Carl Lewis to run for New Jersey senate - Apr 12, 2011
- Carl Lewis wants to run for the Senate - Apr 11, 2011
- Olympian Carl Lewis barred from US state poll race - Apr 28, 2011
- New Jersey rejects Carl Lewis' bid for state Senate - Apr 27, 2011
- Indian athletes should do blood tests every month: Johnson - Jul 30, 2011
- James Ellington looks for a sponsor on eBay - Dec 07, 2011
- Olympic athletics: I have nothing left to prove, says Bolt (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Kenya eyeing relay triumph at London - Apr 18, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- 10K run augurs well for India: Linford Christie - May 24, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Lia Neal qualifies for the Olympics - Jul 16, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Sarah Palin not to run for president - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: carl lewis, children families, dawn, democrat, field athletes, guardian, jersey senate, long jump, new jersey state senate, olympic champion, olympic gold medals, olympic medallist, pensioners, pharmaceutical costs, political arena, relay race, republican senator, seniors, sprint relay, track and field