Olympic gold medalists victory dominates national mediaAugust 12th, 2008 - 4:29 pm ICT by ANI
Chandigarh, Aug 12 (ANI): As India rejoices its first ever Olympic gold medal, Abhinav Bindra’’s victory in the men’’s 10m air rifle dominated the national media’’s front pages on Tuesday.
Bindra’’s victory eclipsed everything else on television channels, which hailed it as a morale booster for a country with few global sporting stars.
Bindra had been fourth after qualifying but had a brilliant final round and the Indian, the epitome of tranquility, hit a near perfect 10.8 on his last shot to pull in front of Henri Hakkinen of Finland, who fell to bronze with a poor final shot.
While the entire nation poured onto the streets in several cities, strangers hugged each other and exchanged sweets and congratulatory messages after the victory.
Residents in his hometown Chandigarh are basking in the success of their ”own boy”.
“I am very happy that our Chandigarh boy has won. This will inspire more children from here to make it big in life,” said Barjinder Singh, a resident.
“I am very happy that he started from Chandigarh and see where he has reached today. He has accomplished a feat that nobody could,” said Vijay Pal Singh, another resident.
As the shooter fixed his gaze on the final target, the moment condensed the hopes of an entire nation starved of a solo Olympics gold.
He hit a near perfect 10.8 in a brilliant final shot to pull ahead of Henri Hakkinen of Finland, who stumbled in his last shot allowing China’’s Zhu Qinan, the favourite, to take the silver.
India had only won four individual medals, none of them gold, since sending their first team to the Summer Games in 1928.
The men’’s hockey team has won the Olympic tournament eight times, but the last time was in 1980. (ANI)
- Hamid Ansari compliments Bindra for his hard work - Aug 14, 2008
- Indias sole Olympic gold medallist Abhinav returns home - Aug 14, 2008
- Abhinav''s father wants him to dedicate gold medal to soldiers - Aug 12, 2008
- Bindra wants Olympic sports to be given priority - Aug 14, 2008
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Olympics: India pins hopes on shooters Abhinav, Gagan - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Abhinav Bindra happy with his performance in Olympics - Aug 14, 2008
- Asian Games: Indian shooters win silver, badminton teams lose (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- India expecting first Asian Games medals from Bindra, Narang - Nov 12, 2010
- Asian Games: Gagan Narang shoots a silver double on opening day (Intro Round Up) - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games: Narang shines on day one, Bindra, Rajput unlucky (Evening Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang gives India double silver on opening day (Roundup) - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: 10m air rifle, abhinav bindra, congratulatory messages, eight times, epitome, final target, front pages, gaze, hakkinen, hockey team, medals, morale booster, olympic gold medal, olympic gold medalists, olympic tournament, shooter, summer games, sweets, television channels, tranquility