‘Olympic games of the art world’ Venice Biennale opens to publicJune 8th, 2009 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 8 (ANI): The Venice Biennale, the oldest and most high profile contemporary art exhibition, is going on public display.
The exhibition, which has gained tremendous popularity across the globe since it was founded in 1895 to celebrate new developments in international art, has spread across the Italian city.
National pavilions have been set up in public gardens to showcase the work of leading artists from each of the 77 participating countries.
And all eyes are wandering to see who would bag the top prize - the Golden Lion - at the Olympic games of the art world.
Swedish curator Daniel Birnbaum said that the Biennale remained the key attraction despite hundreds more exhibitions just a boat ride away.
“With all the big museums and all the art fairs and festivals and triennales, still the Biennale has this attraction. It has magnetism,” the BBC quoted Birnbaum as saying.
“The Venice Biennale is not here to be loved, it’s here to be discussed. And if people keep coming back to discuss it, that’s the best result that we can have,” he added. (ANI)
- In a first, India goes to Venice Biennale as a nation - Dec 02, 2010
- Spotlight on young artists at India's Venice Biennale debut - Apr 02, 2011
- Spotlight on contemporary art at India's Venice Biennale debut (Lead) - Apr 02, 2011
- South Asian art to find new platform at first Dhaka summit - Mar 22, 2012
- India evokes curiosity at Venice art exhibition - Jun 06, 2011
- An official India art pavilion at Venice Biennale - Oct 14, 2010
- India's first biennale in Kochi will provide artists a platform (With Image) - Apr 30, 2011
- India gets its second international art fair - Apr 27, 2011
- India's first art biennale to begin in Kochi - Jan 29, 2012
- India's first art biennale in Kochi (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- It's a different Arab spring in art and culture - Jan 31, 2012
- Indian origin artist goes to Venice Biennale (With Image) - Jun 02, 2011
- Indian to co-curate European show at Venice Biennale - May 12, 2011
- India's largest-ever steel installation at Delhi mall (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- Suzhou: China's Venice of the East (Letter from China) - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: art exhibition, art fairs, art world, bbc, boat ride, contemporary art, curator, daniel birnbaum, exhibitions, fairs and festivals, golden lion, international art, italian city, magnetism, museums, national pavilions, new developments, olympic games, public gardens, venice biennale