Olympic flame arrives in BeijingMarch 31st, 2008 - 10:03 am ICT by admin
Beijing, March 31 (DPA) The Olympic flame arrived Monday in China from Greece and was scheduled to be presented at a closely guarded ceremony in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square. Before the arrival, China tightened security around the square, and Beijing’s Capital International Airport, seemingly fearing more protests after pro-Tibet demonstrators attempted to disrupt the handover ceremony Sunday in Greece.
The Beijing Olympic organizing committee (BOCOG) cited less space because of “security reasons” when it excluded 24 foreign media organizations from the arrival ceremony despite confirmed accreditations for the event.
Chinese officials have been tight-lipped about the timetable for the Tiananmen ceremony.
The International Olympic Committee, which begins an inspection tour of Beijing Monday, has come under growing criticism from human-rights groups to pressure China to improve its human rights situation.
The Olympic torch will be carried from Beijing on a domestic and international relay that will pass through 20 countries.
The relay culminates in the lighting of the Olympic cauldron at the opening ceremony Aug 8 in Beijing’s National Stadium.
Protestors are angry at China’s crushing of unrest in Tibet earlier this month and its plans to take the torch through Tibet and to the top of Mount Everest.
Tibetan activists accuse Beijing of using the site to convey a false message of harmony in the troubled Himalayan region. Chinese troops have occupied Tibet since 1951.
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Chinese president launches Olympic torch relay - Mar 31, 2008
- Olympic torch ends longest-ever relay - Aug 08, 2008
- China's artistry of lighting Games torch dazzles - Nov 12, 2010
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Asian Games to kick-off with water-themed ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Olympic flame arrives in Britain - May 19, 2012
- Olympic torch reaches Vancouver - Feb 12, 2010
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Some Chinese listening to Dalai Lama's quest for Tibet autonomy - Jun 12, 2009
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: accreditations, arrival ceremony, bocog, chinese officials, chinese troops, false message, handover ceremony, himalayan region, human rights groups, human rights situation, international olympic committee, media organizations, mount everest, olympic cauldron, olympic flame, olympic organizing committee, olympic torch, opening ceremony, tiananmen square, tibetan activists