Olmert, Abbas resume talks after seven-week freezeApril 7th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by admin
Jerusalem, April 7 (DPA) Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met in Jerusalem Monday, their first parley in seven weeks, Olmert’s office said. Abbas had temporarily suspended negotiations to protest the killing of more than 125 Palestinians in a five-day Israeli military operation in Gaza a month ago, which had sought to retaliate against a surge in rocket attacks from the Strip.
Aids to Abbas said the Palestinian leader would use the parley to reiterate demands that Israel lift its economic blockade of Gaza, stop settlement construction in the West Bank and remove settlers’ outposts.
Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and former Palestinian premier Ahmed Qureia, the parties’ chief negotiators, were due to meet in Jerusalem too.
Israeli media quoted Livni as saying Sunday that she would present “red lines”, or issues that could not be compromised, in her negotiations with the Palestinians, including on the issue of security, the Palestinian refugee problem and holy sites.
It was the first time she publicly used the term “red lines,” as part of a new strategy, the Israeli Yediot Ahronot daily reported.
“There are things we are able to compromise on, and there are things we cannot compromise on. Israel has no intention of compromising on the red lines and the international community needs to understand this,” Livni said in a meeting with a Christian leader.
- Palestinian negotiators deny Al-Jazeera report on Mideast peace compromise - Jan 24, 2011
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Olmert offered Abbas East Jerusalem, to evacuate 60,000 settlers - Jan 29, 2009
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- Palestinian leadership agrees to indirect talks with Israel - Mar 07, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel: Palestinian President Abbas set impossible conditions for direct peace talks - Jul 29, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Israeli settlers legitimate targets: Hamas - Sep 04, 2010
- Obama envoy holding first talks with Netanyahu government - Apr 16, 2009
- Israel announces building plan, rejects preconditions - Aug 16, 2010
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Israel to demolish all illegal West Bank outposts by end of year - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: ahmed qureia, chief negotiators, economic blockade, ehud olmert, foreign minister tzipi livni, israeli foreign minister, israeli foreign minister tzipi livni, israeli prime minister, israeli prime minister ehud olmert, mahmoud abbas, palestinian leader, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian refugee problem, president mahmoud abbas, prime minister ehud, prime minister ehud olmert, settlement construction, tzipi livni, yediot ahronot daily