Oliver Kahn in talks with Schalke for general manager’s postMarch 20th, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Rheda (Germany), March 20 (DPA) Former Germany goalkeeper Oliver Kahn is in talks with Schalke 04 for the club’s general manager’s post.
Kahn and Schalke supervisory board chairman Clemens Toennies met a week after former general manager Andreas Mueller had to leave over poor results this season and questionable player transfers.
Mueller, 46, left the club in Gelsenkirchen after almost 21 years as a player and manager.
Dutch coach Fred Rutten, however, has stayed on. Schalke came third last season but currently lie only eighth in the table, 12 points behind leaders Hertha Berlin.
The former World Goalkeeper Kahn was capped 86 times by Germany and also made 557 Bundesliga appearances for SC Karlsruhe and Bayern Munich.
The 39-year-old retired last year and is now seeking a job in a club management. German football icon Franz Beckenbauer and former star coach Udo Lattek advised him not to take the Schalke job due to lack of experience.
Kahn said nothing had been decided yet after the meeting with Toennies in an interview with the website of Der Spiegel news magazine.
“It was an interesting exchange of information but there is nothing definitive to report,” Kahn said.
Toennies told WDR radio: “We both agreed to telephone each other in two or three weeks. Kahn is an expert and a great guy. We discussed a concept and it was very good.
“Schalke are a great club and everyone wants to be here. We still want to talk to other candidates to treat them fairly.”
VfL Wolfsburg coach and general manager Felix Magath has also been linked with the Schalke job. The Stuttgarter Zeitung Thursday named VfB Stuttgart general manager Horst Heldt as a another possible man for the Schalke job.
- Heldt extends contract with German side Schalke - Sep 09, 2012
- Schalke part company with coach Rutten - Mar 27, 2009
- Schalke signs goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand - Oct 22, 2011
- Dutchman Stevens to coach Bundesliga club Schalke - Sep 28, 2011
- PSV fire coach Rutten - Mar 13, 2012
- Schalke 'autumn champions' - at least for a day - Dec 19, 2009
- Loew calls up Hunt and Mueller for friendlies - Nov 06, 2009
- Schalke set to sign Chinese midfielder Hao - Jan 22, 2010
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Wolfsburg break losing streak in Bundesliga - Sep 19, 2009
- Bremen go top as Hanover and Bundesliga remember Enke - Nov 22, 2009
- New coaches galore as Bundesliga kicks off - Aug 07, 2009
- Wolfsburg win at Schalke, avoid making history - Sep 19, 2009
- Bierhoff: Loew to remain silent on Kuranyi - Apr 10, 2010
- Munich set to land Gomez and Neuer - May 26, 2009
Tags: andreas mueller, bayern munich, board chairman, club management, der spiegel, felix magath, football icon, franz beckenbauer, german football, germany march, heldt, oliver kahn, player transfers, rutten, schalke 04, seeking a job, star coach, stuttgarter zeitung, toennies, udo lattek