OIC supports Kashmir’s right to self determinationOctober 17th, 2008 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Astana (Kazakhstan), Oct 17 (IANS) The Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC) Friday said it supports the right to self-determination in Kashmir in accordance with the UN resolution to solve the 60-year-old dispute between India and Pakistan.”OIC endorses a 1948 UN resolution mandating a plebiscite in Kashmir,” OIC Secretary General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu told reporters on the sidelines of a conference on a dialogue between Islam and the western world in this capital city of Kazakhstan.
Denouncing the acts of violence in Kashmir, he said the “OIC condemns terrorism in any form in any part of the world”.
Stressing that the Kashmir issue needed to be solved as per the wishes of the people, the OIC leader said a settlement should be acceptable to all parties - Pakistan, India and the Kashmiris. This, he added, would result in durable peace in South Asia.
“We support the dialogue process that was started between the then Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf and Indian premier Atal Bihari Vajpayee and advocate settlement of conflicts through peaceful means,” said the OIC secretary general.
He said terrorism was a phenomenon in the world and couldn’t be attributed to any particular religion or region.
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- 'Islamophobia' a threat to global peace: OIC chief (Lead) - Oct 17, 2008
- OIC Secy-Gen urges India to release Kashmiri leaders - Nov 07, 2008
- India dismayed at OIC stance on Mumbai attack - May 29, 2009
- UAE reiterates support to Myanmar Muslims - Jul 14, 2012
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- India terms OIC's Kashmir description 'most regrettable' - Jun 22, 2011
- Avoid civilian casualties in Libya: OIC - Mar 24, 2011
- India, Kazakhstan to enhance collaboration to expand economic relationship - Apr 16, 2011
- OIC condemns Delhi blast - Sep 08, 2011
- Kazakhstan interested in buying Indian nuclear reactors - Apr 15, 2011
- India rejects OIC resolution on Kashmir - Jul 01, 2011
- Muslim states vow one billion dollar aid to flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 30, 2010
- Pakistan raising Kashmir as a diversionary ploy: Krishna - Sep 29, 2010
- India rebuffs Pakistan's "unwarranted" attempt to raise Kashmir at UN - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: acts of violence, atal bihari vajpayee, ekmeleddin ihsanoglu, kashmir issue, oic secretary general, organisation of islamic conference, pakistan india, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf