Officer who covered grenade gets Russia’s highest honourApril 4th, 2012 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian battalion commander who died after diving on a grenade to protect others has been posthumously awarded the country’s highest honour, the “Hero of the Russian Federation”.
According to the Kremlin website, Major Sergei Solnechnikov pushed a soldier away from a grenade and threw himself over it after it bounced back into the trench they were in during a training exercise at a military base near Belogorsk in the Far Eastern region.
The critically injured officer was rushed to a military hospital, where he died. His colleagues say the move saved dozens of lives.
“The title of the ‘Hero of the Russian Federation’ is bestowed on Major Solnechnikov Sergei, posthumously, for heroism courage and bravery shown while fulfilling military duties,” the presidential decree said.
The mothers of the soldiers whose lives had been saved by Solnechnikov’s act had called for the award.
Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov also said the officer’s “heroic act” deserved a state honour.
Solnechnikov was buried Monday in his home city of Volzhsky. City authorities have announced plans to name a street in Volzhsky after Solnechnikov.
The governor of the Far Eastern Amur region, where the base is located, has also proposed naming a street in Blagoveshchensk in his honour.
- Russia, China complete first stage of naval drills - Apr 25, 2012
- Amur Leopard National Park opens in Russia - Apr 11, 2012
- Chinese woman held for smuggling deer genitals - Aug 13, 2012
- Child attacked by tiger in Russian zoo - Jan 04, 2012
- Russia has one million armed forces personnel - Jul 02, 2011
- Russia, NATO at loggerheads over missile defense - May 03, 2012
- Bus carrying Russians attacked in Syria - Jun 10, 2012
- Medvedev orders to build new aircraft plant - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia to hire more military personnel on contract - Jun 09, 2010
- Russian burns self to death over disability certificate - Apr 16, 2011
- Tornado hits city in Russia's far-east, killing one - Jul 31, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- Russia's women's volleyball coach dies - Aug 29, 2012
- Russian foreign minister to meet Libyan opposition - May 22, 2011
- Russia to stay loyal to Kalashnikov - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: amur region, anatoly serdyukov, battalion commander, belogorsk, blagoveshchensk, city authorities, courage and bravery, defense minister, grenade, heroic act, heroism, highest honour, kremlin website, military base, military duties, military hospital, posthumously, presidential decree, ria novosti, russian federation