Octuplet grandma in US blasts daughterFebruary 10th, 2009 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 10 (DPA) The mother of the woman who gave birth to octuplets has slammed her daughter’s actions as “unconscionable” and said that the single mother has no way to support the babies and her six other children.
Angela Suleman made the comments to the website radaronline.com as her daughter Nadya Suleman showed the babies for the first time in an interview with NBC Monday morning.
The images of the doting mother and tiny babies - all with biblical names - were meant to quell criticism that erupted after the circumstances of the “miracle birth” came to light last week.
But that plan was scuppered by the harsh comments of the grandmother, who said that she was emotionally, financially and physically drained from looking after the six grandchildren who live with their mother in Suleman’s house.
She also claimed that her daughter never contributed food or rent money and that she would probably have to go on welfare to help support the new babies.
“She really has no idea what she’s doing to her children and to me,” Angela Suleman said. “I’m really tired of taking care of those six. I really need (Nadya) to think of what she’s going to do and how she’s going to provide for all these children.”
She said the humble three-bedroom home in which she lived with her husband, daughter and six kids was already overcrowded. Video images on radaronline.com showed a bedroom packed with bunk beds and piles of clothes spilling from the closet.
“We’re there all crowded in. The master bedroom has a big bed and two little cribs and the other bedroom has one bed and one crib and there is one bedroom with bunk beds that I had gotten before, so it’s pretty crowded. But the children are wonderful, beautiful children and I love them dearly. I would never let anything happen to them, so I’m taking care of them and I have been.”
“I don’t know what the future will bring, because, hopefully Nadya Suleman will get some living accommodations - because it’s a really small house.”
Angela Suleman said her daughter was irresponsible with money and ignored her retired mother’s financial needs.
“The house is full of toys,” she said. “My daughter has always spent a lot of money on toys and really not helping out with the children or the living arrangements - never paid anything for rent.”
She called her daughter’s sense of values “kind of strange”, noting that she was a retired teacher with a small retirement, most of which she was spending supporting the grandchildren.
She said that when she first heard that Nadya was trying to get pregnant again she intervened with Nadya’s fertility doctors, who agreed to stop treating her, but Nadya found another doctor.
That statement contradicted Nadya’s claims in the NBC interview that the same doctor had performed the fertility treatments that led to all her pregnancies.
NBC named the fertility centre as the West Coast IVF Clinic in Beverly Hills. The Medical Board of California announced last week that it was conducting an investigation to see if her fertility treatment violated medical ethics.
In her interview Nadya acknowledged that she was “fixated” about having a huge family. Though she knew of the challenges of having more babies with six young children to care for, she wanted to use the embryos she had and never thought that all of them would develop, she said.
“The most I would have ever anticipated would have been twins,” she said.
- Octomom faces probe by social workers for filming baby fetish video - Jan 21, 2011
- Mexican woman with nine babies a fraud, say doctors - May 01, 2012
- Octomom Of America, Nadya Suleman, Voices To Oprah Winfrey That She Was A Baby Addict - Jan 17, 2011
- 'Octomum' Nadya Suleman could be homeless for the holidays - Dec 26, 2010
- Octomom Nadya Suleman to sell bikini, bra to feed her 14 kids - Sep 26, 2010
- Mexican woman pregnant with nine babies - Apr 27, 2012
- Celebrity website faces probe for putting Octuplet babies 'at risk' - Jun 17, 2009
- The Super-mom - Nadya Suleman - Mar 03, 2009
- Fertility doc says Octomom agreed to be "human guinea pig" in study - Nov 20, 2010
- Nadya Suleman Reveals All To Oprah Winfrey - Apr 21, 2010
- Nadya Suleman Exists With Guilt Every Day - Apr 21, 2010
- Nadya Suleman denies her 'In Touch' interview - Jul 05, 2011
- Nadya Suleman To Do A Porn Movie? - Sep 19, 2010
- Baby Addict "Octomom" Seeks Financial Solution In "Oprah Winfrey Show" - Jan 17, 2011
- Octomom Nadya Suleman 'had 12 embryos implanted' - Oct 19, 2010
Tags: biblical names, blasts, bunk beds, cribs, grandchildren, grandma, grandmother, harsh comments, master bedroom, miracle birth, monday morning, nbc, new babies, octuplet, octuplets, piles, single mother, tiny babies, video images, welfare