Octomom Nadya Suleman ‘had 12 embryos implanted’October 19th, 2010 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Oct 19 (ANI): A US state attorney has revealed that Nadya Suleman’s fertility doctor implanted a dozen embryos in the pregnancy that gave her octuplets.
The number surpasses Suleman’s assertion that only six embryos were implanted.
Dr Michael Kamrava’s action endangered the mother of 14 and violated national standards of care, Deputy Attorney General Judith Alvarado said at the Medical Board of California’s hearing to consider revoking or suspending the Beverly Hills physician’s licence.
Dr Kamrava “knew that a 12-embryo transfer was unsafe”, News.com.au quoted Alvarado as saying.
National guidelines issued by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine specify no more than two embryos are to be used in in vitro treatments for a healthy woman under 35.
The board has set aside two weeks for the hearing to determine whether Dr Kamrava was negligent.
There are no hard-and-fast rules, but fertility specialists have criticised Dr Kamrava’s methods, saying he endangered Ms Suleman’s health and the long-term health of the babies.
Ms Suleman’s babies, born nine weeks premature in January 2009, are the world’s longest-surviving set of octuplets.
Ms Suleman, a 33-year-old divorced single mother, has said Dr Kamrava implanted her with six embryos for each of her six pregnancies. (ANI)
- Fertility doc says Octomom agreed to be "human guinea pig" in study - Nov 20, 2010
- Octomom doctor faces possible license revocation for gross negligence - Jul 14, 2010
- Octomom doctor accused of 'gross negligence' - Jan 06, 2010
- Doctor regrets helping Nadya Suleman become 'Octomom' - Oct 23, 2010
- Mexican woman with nine babies a fraud, say doctors - May 01, 2012
- Octomom Of America, Nadya Suleman, Voices To Oprah Winfrey That She Was A Baby Addict - Jan 17, 2011
- Baby Addict "Octomom" Seeks Financial Solution In "Oprah Winfrey Show" - Jan 17, 2011
- Octomom's doc expelled from American Society for Reproductive Medicine - Oct 20, 2009
- Mexican woman pregnant with nine babies - Apr 27, 2012
- Octomom calls having eight babies a 'mistake' - Aug 30, 2009
- Octomom To Come Into Sight On The Show Of Oprah Winfrey - Apr 15, 2010
- Octomom Nadya Suleman to sell bikini, bra to feed her 14 kids - Sep 26, 2010
- Octomom open to having another kid, but after marriage - Feb 25, 2010
- Miracle births stoke debates over fertility treatment - Feb 08, 2009
- Mother of 14 courts controversy, cash - Feb 05, 2009
Tags: american society for reproductive medicine, assertion, babies, beverly hills, criticised, deputy attorney general, dr michael, embryo transfer, embryos, fertility doctor, fertility specialists, long term health, medical board of california, ms suleman, nadya, nine weeks, octuplets, single mother, state attorney, vitro