Occupy protesters take to streets across USNovember 18th, 2011 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
New York, Nov 18 (IANS) Occupy protesters took to the streets across America, from Miami to Los Angeles to Portland as thousands of original Occupy Wall Street demonstrators deluged New York marking two months of their movement.
Scores were arrested in New York Thursday, and several police officers were reported injured, as protesters fanned out across the city heading toward Foley Square in lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge.
By early Thursday evening, people were crossing the bridge - the same place where more than 700 had been arrested last month -chanting, “This is what democracy looks like - This is what America look like,” according to the New York movement’s official Twitter feed. This time, they marched in the pedestrian walkway, not blocking the roadway.
The group twice squared off against riot police in Zuccotti Park, where they’d been evicted two days earlier, CNN reported. They had also engaged in several confrontations with police, leading to scores of arrests.
That includes 99 Occupy Wall Street protesters taken into custody early Thursday evening, CNN said citing a police officer hours after protest organizers said 99 people were prepared to sit down in a street and be arrested.
This figure is symbolic, since activists purport to represent the interests of 99 percent of the population, as opposed to the wealthiest 1 percent.
This figure is an addition to at least 177 people who Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said had been arrested during a late afternoon press conference. He also noted then that seven police officers were hurt during exchanges with protesters.
Authorities constructed barricades at Zuccotti Park, in front of the New York Stock Exchange and along Fifth Avenue in an apparent attempt to keep demonstrators off the roads and on pedestrian walkways.
Earlier in the day, protesters lifted metal barricades that ringed Zuccotti Park, a former home-base for the movement, defying authorities and blocking traffic.
- Occupy protesters evicted from New York park - Nov 15, 2011
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- Scores arrested across US in 'Occupy Wall Street' protests - Oct 15, 2011
- 'Occupy Wall Street' movement sparks clashes in Washington - Oct 12, 2011
- Evicted occupiers return to NYK park; 100 arrested - Nov 16, 2011
- Occupy protesters celebrate Thanksgiving, residents donate meal - Nov 25, 2011
- Russia condemns US crackdown on Occupy movement - Dec 14, 2011
- `Occupiers' get advice from Bill Clinton - Nov 08, 2011
- Occupy activists arrested in several US cities - Nov 14, 2011
- Over 100 Occupy Boston protesters arrested in US - Oct 12, 2011
- Defying ban, 'occupy' protesters stay put in Washington - Jan 31, 2012
- 'Occupy' protesters defy ban, stay put in Washington (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Hundreds arrested at protests against corporate greed in US - Oct 17, 2011
- In Occupied America! - Nov 13, 2011
- New York won't tolerate Wall Street violence: Mayor - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: apparent attempt, barricades, brooklyn bridge, cnn, confrontations, crossing the bridge, foley square, lower manhattan, new york stock, new york stock exchange, pedestrian walkway, pedestrian walkways, police commissioner, protest organizers, protesters, ray kelly, riot police, street demonstrators, york stock exchange, zuccotti park