OCA backs India to host 2018 Asian GamesApril 22nd, 2009 - 10:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) President Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah Wednesday backed India to host the 2018 Asian Games in Delhi.
Delhi had narrowly lost the bid to hold the 2014 Asian Games to Incheon City, Korea.
Sheikh Ahmad said that India have the experience and “should get the chance” to hold the Games once again.
“India held the Asian Games in 1951 as the founders. They held it 1982 as amateurs. But now they are professionals to hold the Asian Games again.”
“They are going to stage the Commonwealth Games next year. The country has changed a lot. They have the technology and know-how and the right atmosphere to host the Games,” Al-Sabah told reporters here.
“The market is attractive here. Besides, communication and transportation is not a problem. They will have the necessary facilities after the Commonwealth Games. It would be 80 per cent of what we need. We will be happy to ask India to hold the 2018 edition,” he said.
The OCA President, who was here en route Beijing to take stock of the preparations for the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou, said there would no security concerns for hosting the mega-event in India.
“We trust the security and leadership of the country. We are friends of India. It’s our duty to send the message that India is as secured as any other country in the world. The Asian sports members should go hand-in-hand,” he said.
The bidding for the 2018 Games is likely to be held by the end of 2010.
- OCA president arrives for biggest ever Asian Games - Nov 12, 2010
- OCA to provide financial aid to Pakistan, North Korea - Nov 12, 2010
- Return free ticket if not watching Asian Games: Organisers - Nov 16, 2010
- 16th Asian Games draw to close at colourful ceremony - Nov 27, 2010
- Malhotra hails Randhir's ANOC nomination - Apr 23, 2012
- OCA chief gives thumbs up to Guangzhou - Nov 27, 2010
- Asian Games close with China dominant as never before (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Guangzhou Asian Games "one of best ever": OCA president - Nov 27, 2010
- Cricket included in Asian Games - May 13, 2009
- BCCI not to send teams for Asian Games - Jun 01, 2010
- Kuwait emir accepts premier's resignation - Jul 01, 2012
- Cricket Officially Added To 16th Asian Games - May 13, 2009
- BCCI's Asian Games pull-out disappoints OCA (Lead) - Jun 01, 2010
- Maldives to host second South Asian Beach Games - Oct 13, 2011
- Krishna calls on Kuwait's Deputy Prime Minister - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: 2014 asian games, 2018 asian games, al sabah, amateurs, asian sports, atmosphere, beijing, commonwealth games, delhi delhi, fahad, founders, games new, India, korea, necessary facilities, New Delhi, oca, olympic council, security concerns, sheikh ahmad