Obhrai takes oath as parliamentary secretary in CanadaNovember 8th, 2008 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Nov 8 (IANS) Five-time Indian-Canadian MP Deepak Obhrai has taken oath as the parliamentary secretary to the Canadian minister of foreign affairs.Obhrai, who represents the East Calgary constituency in the Canadian House of Commons, was holding the same position in the last cabinet.
“I am honoured and privileged that the prime minister chose once again to reassign me to this portfolio,” said Obhrai.
Congratulating Obhrai after the oath-taking ceremony Friday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said: “Deepak, you know what to do. I know you will do a good job.”
Obhrai, who has served as parliamentary secretary to three former foreign ministers Peter MacKay, Maxime Bernier and David Emerson, said he was looking forward to working with the new minister Lawrence Cannon.
The position of parliamentary secretary in Canada is equal to that of a minister of state in India.
Tanzania-born, India-educated Obhrai was expected to be made a cabinet minister this time after his record fifth victory in the Oct 14 general election.
However, the inclusion of four Calgary-area MPs in the cabinet worked against him.
Harper, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney and Obhrai are among seven MPs from Calgary.
- Two Sikhs become ministers in Canada - May 19, 2011
- Canadian PM lights Diwali lamp, eyes more trade with India - Nov 17, 2010
- Deepak Obhrai re-appointed Canada's parliamentary secretary - May 26, 2011
- Canadian politicians use India-Pakistan cricket clash to woo voters - Mar 31, 2011
- Deepak Obhrai may be named to Canadian cabinet - May 12, 2011
- Top Indo-Canadian MPs lost in Canadian elections - May 04, 2011
- Dosanjh, Dhalla lose as Canada's ruling party gets majority - May 03, 2011
- Canadian parliament may see more Indian-origin MPs - Apr 26, 2011
- Indian origin minister plays good Samaritan mid-air - Sep 29, 2009
- India is 'top priority' for new Canadian government - May 05, 2011
- Canadian parliament celebrates Diwali (With Image) - Oct 10, 2009
- Meira Kumar's election hailed in Canadian parliament - Jun 06, 2009
- Canada's parliament hails 'miracle' of Indian democracy (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- 3 Indian Canadians charged with poll fraud - May 04, 2010
- Year of India in Canada begins - Mar 05, 2011