Obama’’s White House site slams Bush on Hurricane Katrina responseJanuary 21st, 2009 - 3:19 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan.21 (ANI): The new White House website unveiled by President Barack Obamas team Tuesday includes a shot at former President Bushs response to Hurricane Katrina.
According to Politico, under the agenda portion of the site regarding Katrina, it reads: President Obama will keep the broken promises made by President Bush to rebuild New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. He and Vice President Biden will take steps to ensure that the federal government will never again allow such catastrophic failures in emergency planning and response to occur.
President Obama swiftly responded to Hurricane Katrina, the statement on the site continues.
Citing the Bush Administrations unconscionable ineptitude in responding to Hurricane Katrina, then-Senator Obama introduced legislation requiring disaster planners to take into account the specific needs of low-income hurricane victims.
The site also points out that Obama visited thousands of Hurricane survivors in the Houston Convention Center and later took three more trips to the region and worked with the Congressional Black Caucus to help rebuild in the aftermath of Katrina.
In interviews prior to leaving the White House, Bush defended the federal governments response to the hurricane.
The truth of the matter is the response was pretty darn quick if you think about the fact that the Coast Guard and a lot of brave kids were pulling 30,000 people off of roofs as soon as the storm passed, as soon as they found people on those roofs, Bush said during an interview with CNN last week.
Bush also said his lowest point in office came when he heard people saying George Bush is a racist because of the response to the hurricane. (ANI)
- Bushs lowest point during presidency was being called a racist post Hurricane Katrina - Jan 15, 2009
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Obama visits Katrina-ravaged New Orleans - Oct 16, 2009
- Obama inspects damage by hurricane Irene - Sep 05, 2011
- Over 150,000 without power in Bobby Jindal's Louisiana - Sep 03, 2012
- Bill Clinton to visit Haiti quake scene Monday - Jan 18, 2010
- Boos and cheers greet Bobby Jindal as Obama visits his turf - Oct 16, 2009
- George W. Bush reveals his most nervous moment of presidency - Sep 13, 2011
- President Barack Obama To Visit New Orleans To Mark Hurricane Katrina's Fifth Anniversary - Aug 29, 2010
- Don't hate Obama, defeat him: Bobby Jindal - Jun 18, 2011
- Jindal defends Romney visit to Louisiana - Sep 01, 2012
- Obama to cut short vacation due to Hurricane Irene - Aug 27, 2011
- Bush treating Obama like 'the way I'd like to have been treated' - Nov 06, 2010
- Vice President Joe Biden To Visit Gulf Coast On Tuesday - Jun 27, 2010
Tags: aftermath of katrina, brave kids, broken promises, bush administrations, catastrophic failures, cnn, congressional black caucus, disaster planners, emergency planning, federal governments, houston convention center, hurricane survivors, hurricane victims, ineptitude, president bush, president bushs, response to hurricane katrina, senator obama, slams bush, truth of the matter