Obamas settle on Portuguese water dog for First PetFebruary 27th, 2009 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 27 (DPA) Malia and Sasha Obama can celebrate: their highly publicised longing for a dog is set to be satisfied soon.
After a months-long search, First Lady Michelle Obama has chosen a Portuguese water dog to join the family in April, the US magazine People said Thursday.
President Barack Obama had first promised his daughters a pet during his election campaign, regardless of the outcome. The breed had been considered a possible pick because it is “hypoallergenic” and Malia suffers from allergies.
Michelle Obama said she had very clear ideas about the new family member, which had to be “old enough” and to fit into the family dynamics.
Water dogs are “temperamentally” pretty good, she said in an interview. Michelle Obama said that veteran Democratic Senator Ted Kennedy, who has two water dogs himself, recommended the breed.
“From the size perspective, they’re sort of middle of the road, it’s not small, but it’s not a huge dog. And the folks that we know who own them have raved about them,” she noted.
The first lady admitted that she had been surprised by the media hype over the Obamas’ search for a dog.
“I didn’t anticipate the level of the excitement about the dog,” she said.
However, she knew that the issue was very important for her daughters, aged 7 and 9.
“They’ve been excited for years,” she said.
The report does not say what the First Dog’s name is set to be, although Michelle Obama appears to be trying to put a brake to the girls’ creativity.
“Oh, the names are really bad. I don’t even want to mention it, because there are names floating around and they’re bad,” she said.
The first lady has opposed the suggestions Frank and Moose, among others.
- Michelle Obama reveals plan for White House dog - Feb 26, 2009
- Obama's daughters find him embarrassing - Jan 14, 2012
- Michelle Obama reveals daughter's party clothes left President gulping! - Apr 19, 2011
- My mum still does her own laundry, says Michelle Obama - Apr 22, 2011
- Stefani to host Obama fundraiser with Michelle - Jul 05, 2012
- Michelle Obama attends Beyonce concert - May 27, 2012
- How Obamas' daughters live a normal life - Nov 27, 2010
- US First Dog, Bo, arrives at White House - Apr 15, 2009
- Obama's 49th b'day: home alone with grey hair and Winfrey, but no cake - Aug 05, 2010
- Obama's daughter safe after Mexico quake - Mar 21, 2012
- Parents back Michelle Obama's 'Facebook ban on her daughters' - Feb 11, 2011
- Obama's prayer: 'Lord, have that skirt get longer' - Feb 04, 2011
- Michelle Obama, with daughters, skiing in Colorado - Feb 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin Mocks First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" Campaign Over S'mores - Dec 21, 2010
- Michelle not to celebrate Obama's birthday - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: barack obama, creativity, democratic senator, dpa, election campaign, family dynamics, family member, first lady, hypoallergenic, longing, malia, media hype, michelle obama, moose, portuguese water dog, sasha, senator ted kennedy, size perspective, ted kennedy, water dogs