Obama’s policies losing virginity: Fidel CastroFebruary 7th, 2009 - 6:37 am ICT by IANS
Havana, Feb 7 (IANS) Former Cuban president Fidel Castro has criticised US President Barack Obama saying his “politics is losing virginity”, the EFE news agency reported Saturday.
“Sooner rather than later, Obama’s politics are losing their virginity,” he said in his article titled “Reflection” published in official media Friday.
Castro, who earlier called Obama an “honest man” and praised his inaugural speech, took a statement of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel to criticise the policies of new US administration.
“He (Emanuel) told journalists that what interests President Obama is the Cuban-American community,” Castro said, adding that the “almost 12 million Cubans living on the island don’t interest him.”
The 82-year-old revolutionary leader, who stepped down a year ago in favor of younger brother Raul Castro, said Emanuel had said Obama would lift the restrictions the Bush administration imposed on Cuban-Americans’ visits and remittances to the island.
But the chief of staff made no mention of allowing other US citizens to freely travel to Cuba or ending Washington’s 46-year-old economic embargo against the communist-ruled island.
In previous articles, Fidel accused Obama of “sharing in the genocide against the Palestinians”, and of “arrogance” for not returning the US Navy base at Guantanamo to Cuba, and of “contradictions” between ethics and his policies.
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Raul Castro calls Obama 'a good man', wishes him luck - Jan 22, 2009
- Castro believes Obama wants to improve ties with Cuba - Apr 09, 2009
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- First cargo ship arrives in Havana from Miami in 50 years - Jul 14, 2012
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- US confirms immigration talks with Cuba - Feb 18, 2010
- Cuba urges US to act fast in improving relations - Jan 24, 2009
- Fidel Castro blames Obama, tourists for swine flu in Cuba - Nov 01, 2009
- Cuba willing to swap dissidents with spies held in US: Minister - Jan 29, 2009
- Cuba frees two political prisoners - Oct 21, 2009
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Cuban regime 'ending', Clinton tells Congress - Apr 23, 2009
- Cuba unsure what to expect from Obama - Jan 21, 2009
Tags: barack obama, brother raul, cuban american community, cuban americans, cuban president fidel, cuban president fidel castro, economic embargo, efe news agency, fidel castro, honest man, inaugural speech, losing virginity, navy base, president fidel castro, rahm emanuel, raul castro, remittances, revolutionary leader, us navy, white house chief of staff