Obama’s personal popularity still high, not so his handling of economy, finds surveyJune 9th, 2009 - 3:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 9 (ANI): While most Americans still view President Barack Obama favorably as a person, his performance ratings of his handling of the economy have gone down by 12 points since taking over the White House, according to a new USA Today/Gallup poll.
Overall, 67 percent of Americans view Obama favorably, but many Americans now disapprove of the way he has handled specific issues like federal spending and budget deficit.
According to the survey, 51 percent disapproved of his measures to control federal spending, and 48 percent disapproved of his handling of the budget deficit.
However, 61 percent approved of his overall job performance, and 55 percent his handling of the economy.
“Obama’s job approval rating for his handling of the economy has dropped from 59 percent in February to 55 percent today, while his disapproval rating has risen by 12 points, from 30 percent to 42 percent,” Politico quoted Gallup, as saying.
“The fact that Obama’s approval on the economy has become more negative over this time period is of interest, given that Gallup’s measure of consumer mood has become more positive between March and the current time,” it added.
Obama scores higher marks for his handling of international matters, with 59 percent approving of his handling of foreign affairs, and 55 percent approving of his handling of terrorism and the situation in the Middle East, the survey said. (ANI)
- Over five in ten Americans still view George W. Bush as unpopular: USA Today/Gallup Poll - Nov 11, 2010
- Obama's ratings rise but still struggling to sell economic policies, find new polls - Feb 10, 2011
- Mood among Americans lowest in two years: NYT-CBS poll - Apr 22, 2011
- Poll gives Obama low marks for handling of economy - Apr 08, 2011
- Washington Post-ABC News poll finds Obama reaching a new low - Jul 13, 2010
- Obama scores on foreign policy, loses on budget issues - Jun 09, 2009
- Obama's approval ratings up after Osama bin Laden's death: Polls - May 04, 2011
- Only 13 percent of Americans polled approve of Congress - Dec 16, 2010
- Obama's ratings decline with 43 percent Americans opposing Afghan war - Aug 04, 2010
- Romney GOP's only New Hampshire hope: Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Poll: Health care reform is Barack Obama's best and worst - Jan 14, 2011
- 5 in10 Americans think Obama does not deserve second term: Quinnipiac Poll - Mar 31, 2011
- At one-year mark, Obama gets 50 percent approval - Jan 19, 2010
- Obama's job approval rating climbs to highest point in year to 53 percent - Jan 13, 2011
- Obama's approval rating increases four points to 48 percent - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: barack obama, budget deficit, current time, disapproval, economy, federal spending, foreign affairs, gallup poll, international matters, job approval rating, measures, performance ratings, personal popularity, situation in the middle east, terrorism, time period, usa today, white house