Obama’s marriage wasn’t always picture perfect, says new bookJune 3rd, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jun 3 (ANI): US President Barack Obama’s married life with his wife Michelle was not so picture perfect at one point of time, says a new book titled ‘Renegade’.
Though the two now look the picture of wedded bliss, the author of the book Richard Wolffe revealed that there was a time in 2000 when the marriage appeared frostier than it is today.
“There was little conversation and even less romance,” the New York Daily News quoted Wolffe, who covered Obama’s campaign for Newsweek magazine, as writing about the period.
“She was angry at his selfishness and careerism; he thought she was cold and ungrateful,” he wrote.
At the time, Obama was a young State Senator who had decided to run a Democratic primary against incumbent Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Chicago) - a contest Obama lost by a dismal 2-1 margin.
Michelle was a new mom with two-year-old Malia at home and Sasha, born in June 2001, not far off.
“She hated the failed race for Congress in 2000, and their marriage was strained by the time their youngest daughter, Sasha, was born,” Wolffe recalled.
“Politics seemed like a waste of time to Michelle,” he stated.
Years later, when then-U.S. Senator Obama began mapping out a run for the White House, Michelle was much more open to the idea of a life in politics.
In the end, after deciding that her growing children would be fine and her husband could actually win, Michelle gave her blessing and Obama launched his White House bid.
“We’re going to be fine,” Wolffe quoted Michelle as saying.
“We just have to make sure the girls are fine. We’re strong enough to take anything on and be OK at the end,” she had said.
In a two-part special with NBC’s Brian Williams, Obama said that the normal “rhythms” of life - running errands, walking the dog, doing “things that’ll make my wife happy” - are thrown off by the presidency.
“But look, you know, Michelle and I are pretty darn lucky, and we know that,” he conceded. (ANI)
- Michelle Obama attends Beyonce concert - May 27, 2012
- Michelle Obama sends stocks, sweet potatoes soaring - in style (Profile) - Nov 04, 2010
- How laughter keeps Michelle Obama's love life alive - Feb 14, 2011
- Obama coaches daughter Sasha's basketball team while she goes skiing - Feb 20, 2011
- Michelle Obama set to savour Spanish holiday with daughter - Aug 02, 2010
- Dancing, playing hopscotch... Michelle bowls over children (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- Michelle Obama wants to visit India again - Feb 02, 2011
- Reagan on Obama's holiday reading list (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- What's cooking between Vera Baker and Barack Obama? - Sep 22, 2009
- Murdoch's wife becomes internet sensation - Jul 20, 2011
- Barack Obama - battling mystique and realpolitik (Profile) - Nov 04, 2010
- Michelle & Barack Obama grace Oprah Winfrey's show - May 03, 2011
- President Obama Spends 49th Birthday Home Alone - Aug 04, 2010
- Obama's daughters find him embarrassing - Jan 14, 2012
- President Obama not invited to Chelsea Clinton's wedding - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: barack obama, bobby rush, brian williams, careerism, daughter sasha, democratic primary, malia, married life, new mom, new york daily news, newsweek, newsweek magazine, rhythms of life, richard wolffe, s brian, senator obama, wedded bliss, wife michelle, york jun, youngest daughter