Obama’’s Kenyan choir inks deal with Universal MusicJanuary 24th, 2009 - 2:07 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 24 (ANI): A Kenyan youth choir, which performed at President Barack Obama’’s inaugural ball in the US, has inked a deal with Universal Music.
The Boys Choir of Kenya signed the deal in the transit lounge at London’’s Heathrow Airport as they returned to Nairobi from Washington DC.
The choir includes boys between 13 years to 24 years of age. The have visited US several times, and through their performances have raised school fees for their members.
They are also helping several orphans.
We heard about the record deal about two days ago. I felt delighted on behalf of the boys, the BBC quoted artistic director Joseph Muyale as saying.
“We began from humble beginnings and to be recognised by a large recording company is so humbling and quite an honour. We just thank God,” he added.
Universal Classics A&R representative Tom Lewis signed the contract at Heathrow Airport’’s Terminal 4.
He only saw the choir for the first time at the weekend, when a colleague advised him to watch their clip of online.
“It has been frantic. I didn”t know how I was going to get to see the choir - they”re not allowed to leave the airport because they”re in transit, said Lewis.
“At one point, I even considered buying a ticket so I could join them. But we”ve been allowed into the departures lounge.
“I went onto YouTube and I saw their CNN performance and I thought, ”Wow - I do not want anyone else working with them,” he added. (ANI)
- Record deal for Kenyan choir boys after Obama inauguration gig - Jan 24, 2009
- Remembering Sathya Sai Baba's soul safari (First Person) - Apr 25, 2011
- Nepali coir missing from Heathrow airport - Apr 29, 2011
- German TV channel stands by its doping report - May 30, 2012
- 'Missing' Nepali coir surfaces three days on in UK - Apr 30, 2011
- Matt Damon hits out at Barack Obama - Mar 07, 2011
- Shillong choir founder named to World Choir Council - May 31, 2012
- Shah Rukh signs off sexy body-scan printouts at Heathrow - Feb 06, 2010
- Venezuelan diplomat slain in Kenya - Jul 28, 2012
- Jason Isaacs praises young Potter stars for staying "grounded, humble" - Nov 13, 2010
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Keys raises fund for people with HIV/AIDS - May 05, 2011
- Kemboi shifts base to Bristol to avoid public scrutiny - Jul 14, 2012
- David Beckham wants sons to carry on his legacy - Apr 28, 2010
- Leona Lewis wants to sing at Simon Cowell's wedding - Feb 21, 2010
Tags: 24 years, artistic director, barack obama, boys choir, cnn, departures, heathrow airport, humble beginnings, inaugural ball, jan 24, london jan, music london, orphans, representative tom, terminal 4, transit lounge, universal classics, universal music, youth choir, youtube