Obama’s Kenyan aunt blames system for allowing her to defy deportation orderSeptember 22nd, 2010 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.22 (ANI): US President Barack Obama’s Kenyan aunt, Zeituni Onyango, has blamed the American system for helping her to defy a deportation order twice.
Onyango was granted asylum by a U.S. immigration judge in May.
Onyango, 58, the half sister of Obama’s father, had twice been rejected for asylum when she was exposed for living in a Boston housing project during the 2008 presidential campaign, the New York Post and the Boston Globe reports.
Onyango argued she should not be blamed for reaping the benefits of public housing.
“I didn’t take advantage of the system. The system took advantage of me,” she told WBZ-TV Monday. She added she had been living in a homeless shelter for two years before she was assigned to public housing.
“I don’t mind. You can take that house. I can be on the streets with the homeless people. I didn’t ask for it. They gave it to me. Ask your system. I didn’t create it or vote for it. Go ask your system,” Onyango, who came to the U.S. in 2000, said.
She said that she came to America with the intention of returning to Kenya, but said she fell ill and could not afford the trip home.
She suffers from the autoimmune disorder Guillain-Barre syndrome. Her first request for asylum was denied in 2004. In May, she was granted asylum by Judge Leonard I. Shapiro, who said the publicity surrounding her case raised the possibility she would be persecuted if she was forced to return to Kenya. (ANI)
- Obama's Kenyan Aunt Zeituni can stay in the US for two more months - Feb 05, 2010
- Obama's aunt can stay in US - May 18, 2010
- Obama's Kenyan Aunt Zeituni can stay in the US for ten more months - Apr 02, 2009
- Obama's aunt may be illegal immigrant: Report - Nov 02, 2008
- Obama's uncle held for drunken driving - Aug 30, 2011
- Obama may not be of much help to his illegal immigrant aunt - Nov 13, 2008
- Obama unaware aunt living illegally in US: Report (Lead) - Nov 02, 2008
- Sheen to return to 'Two And A Half Men'? - Apr 14, 2011
- Robert de Niro barred from hotel! - Mar 15, 2012
- Teen dancer paralyzed after ear piercing goes awry - Nov 12, 2010
- Air Force One lands safely after an aborted landing effort - May 19, 2011
- Sugars play key role in bacterial infection in humans: Study - Mar 18, 2011
- Taylor Kitsch's dietary advice - Mar 04, 2012
- Obamas ''Auntie Zeituni'' will not leave the US, says lawyer - Nov 10, 2008
- Obamas Kenyan aunt can stay in the US for now - Jan 27, 2009
Tags: asylum, autoimmune disorder, barack obama, barre syndrome, boston globe, boston housing, deportation, half sister, homeless people, homeless shelter, housing project, immigration judge, intention, new york post, onyango, presidential campaign, public housing, publicity, shapiro, wbz tv