Obama’s election ‘extraordinary step forward’ for US: RiceNovember 6th, 2008 - 3:33 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 6 (DPA) US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice praised president-elect Barack Obama for his victory and said Wednesday the US has taken an “extraordinary step” by electing the first African American to the White House.”One of the great things about representing this country is that it continues to surprise. It continues to renew itself. It continues to beat all odds and expectations,” Rice said in a brief appearance before reporters.
Rice said Tuesday night’s election was “extraordinary” and called Obama “inspirational”, while also praising his defeated Republican opponent, John McCain, as “gracious” and a “great patriot”.
Rice became the first African American woman to serve as secretary of state. Her predecessor, Colin Powell, was the first black to hold the job. Both were appointed under the Republican administration of President George W. Bush.
“As an African American, I’m especially proud, because this is a country that’s been through a long journey, in terms of overcoming wounds and making race not the factor in our lives,” Rice said.
“That work is not done, but yesterday was obviously an extraordinary step forward.”
Rice was to depart Wednesday to Israel, the West Bank, Jordan and Egypt on a five-day trip designed to keep focus on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process as the Bush presidency winds to a close.
- Rice calls Obama "inspirational", promises smooth transition - Nov 06, 2008
- Powell still supports Obama, but uncertain about his choice in 2012 Presidential polls - Jan 24, 2011
- Rumsfeld unapologetic about US going to war against Iraq - Feb 03, 2011
- Condoleezza Rice on Romney's ticket could change the tide - Jul 16, 2012
- Obama, Hillary Clinton again top most admired list - Dec 28, 2011
- 'Tough' Hillary a true patriot doing right things: Rice - Oct 14, 2010
- Status of US ties with Pak was like a 'cold shower' for Obama: Woodward - Sep 27, 2010
- Paul Ryan accepts Republican vice presidential nomination - Aug 30, 2012
- Don't hate Obama, defeat him: Bobby Jindal - Jun 18, 2011
- Obama cultivating support across party lines - Jan 20, 2009
- Rice admits Bush administration made mistakes after 9/11 - Oct 14, 2010
- Rice hails Obama''s victory as a key moment in US history - Dec 30, 2008
- Sarah Palin pushes midterm election candidates, teases possible presidential candidacy bid - Sep 18, 2010
- Powell has no regrets about endorsing Obama - Feb 22, 2010
- Obama expands national lead over Republican rivals: Poll - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: african american woman, barack obama, bush presidency, condoleezza rice, john mccain, opponent john mccain, republican opponent, rice washington, secretary of state condoleezza rice, state condoleezza rice