Obama wins Mississippi primaryMarch 12th, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Mar 12 (ANI): Democrat presidential candidate Barack Obama has won the contest in Mississippi, his second victory since experiencing losses to Senator Hillary Clinton in Ohio and Texas.
With over 80 percent of the precincts in Mississippi voting for Obama, he led Clinton by 59 to 39 percent.
Obama’s win on Tuesday adds to his overall delegate count but not enough to claim that he has gone ahead of Clinton to win the partys nomination in August.
Mississippi had 40 delegates, including seven super delegates, and political analysts say that Obama has to come away with at least 19 out of the 33 pledged delegates to blunt the gains his rival came away with in last week’s spectacular wins in Ohio, Texas and Rhode Island.
According to reports, Obama won 17 Mississippi delegates and Clinton won 11, with 5 still to be determined. That gave Obama a total of 1,596, to 1,484 for Clinton, including both pledged delegates and the party leaders and elected officials known as superdelegates
The Pennsylvania primary on April 22 opens the final stage of the Democratic nominating fight, with eight other states and territories left to weigh in.
A total of 2,025 delegates are needed to win the Democratic nomination, something that neither candidate is expected to wrap up prior to the August convention. (ANI)
- Romney wins six, but fails to deliver a knockout (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Santorum sweeps south; setback for Romney - Mar 14, 2012
- Obama wins Wyoming Caucuses - Mar 09, 2008
- Front-runner Romney wins Republican primary in Illinois - Mar 21, 2012
- Bobby Jindal wins 2nd term in landslide - Oct 23, 2011
- Santorum wins Louisiana to slow down Romney - Mar 25, 2012
- Santorum slows Romney's march with southern sweep (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Obama wins North Carolina primary, race tightens in Indiana - May 07, 2008
- Hillary Clinton survives to fight another day (Lead) - May 07, 2008
- Romney creates history in clinching Republican nomination (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mitt Romney clinches Republican nomination - May 30, 2012
- Super Tuesday seems to have lost its sheen - Mar 06, 2012
- Romney pads up lead as Santorum wins Kansas - Mar 11, 2012
- Romney pulls ahead, but Ohio still hangs in balance (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Obama scores big win in smallest state - Mar 09, 2008
Tags: barack obama, delegate count, delegates, democrat presidential candidate, democratic nomination, hillary clinton, losses, mississippi primary, party leaders, pennsylvania primary, political analysts, presidential candidate barack obama, rhode island, senator hillary clinton, victory