Obama warns Syria against using chemical weaponsJuly 24th, 2012 - 7:06 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US President Barack Obama has warned the Syrian authorities of being held accountable if they decided to use their arsenal of chemical weapons.
Syrian Foreign Ministry said Monday that Syria may use chemical weapons against external aggression as the West is pushing for a possible military intervention in the country torn by violent clashes between troops loyal to President Bashar Al-Assad and opposition forces.
“Given the regime’s stockpiles of chemical weapons, we will continue to make it clear to Assad and those around him that the world is watching and that they will be held accountable by the international community and the United States should they make the tragic mistake of using those weapons,” said Obama.
He was addressing veterans in Nevada state’s Reno county.
The European Union, meanwhile, approved a new set of sanctions against Syria Monday, including a tougher arms embargo, in response to the escalating violence in the country.
The new sanctions came as Syrian government troops continued their large-scale offensive to force rebels out of Damascus and the northern city of Aleppo.
Up to 17,000 people have been killed in clashes between Assad troops and opposition fighters since the beginning of the Syrian conflict 17 months ago, according to UN estimates based on accounts provided by Syrian activists.
- Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria - Aug 21, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia reminds Syria of 1925 chemical weapons ban - Jul 25, 2012
- Syria's use of chemical weapons unacceptable: Pentagon - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia dismisses EU sanctions on Syria - Jul 29, 2012
- 'Terrorists may get hold of Syrian chemical weapons' - Jun 12, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Syria releases over 900 protesters - Dec 01, 2011
- Syrian forces storm rebel-held Aleppo - Aug 14, 2012
- Syrian crisis should not have military solution: UN chief - Sep 21, 2012
- UN Syria resolution unacceptable: Russia - Jul 13, 2012
- Clashes between Syrian army, opposition continue in Aleppo - Aug 01, 2012
- France urges new Syria sanctions - Jun 14, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: arms embargo, barack obama, bashar al assad, chemical weapons, damascus, external aggression, foreign ministry, government troops, military intervention, nevada state, opposition fighters, president bashar, reno county, ria novosti, sanctions against syria, stockpiles, syrian authorities, syrian government, tragic mistake, violent clashes