Obama ‘very concerned’ by Khamenei commentsJune 20th, 2009 - 5:05 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 20 (DPA) US President Barack Obama said he was concerned by Iranian supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s speech Friday that called for an end to protests over Iran’s disputed election and suggested a government crackdown could be coming.
“I’m very concerned based on some of the tenor and tone of the statements that have been made,” Obama said in an interview with CBS News. Iran should “recognise that the world is watching”.
“How they approach and deal with people who are, through peaceful means, trying to be heard will, I think, send a pretty clear signal to the international community about what Iran is … and is not,” Obama said.
Khamenei threw his weight behind re-elected President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, insisting no fraud had taken place in the June 12 election.
He also issued a stern warning that illegal demonstrations were not acceptable, and that the opposition would be held responsible for any outbreaks of violence.
of thousands of people have been protesting in support of opposition candidate Mir-Hossein Moussavi.
- Khamenei warns opposition against undermining establishment - Dec 13, 2009
- Ahmadinejad warns opposition ahead of protests - Jun 04, 2010
- EU concerned about post-election violence in Iran - Jun 14, 2009
- Planned rally to support revolts draws Iranians anger - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran using violence against protesters, US says - Jun 20, 2009
- US supports 'peaceful' justice in Iran: Obama (Lead) - Jun 20, 2009
- Khamenei backs Ahmadinejad, calls for end to protests (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Iran's supreme leader warns opposition, decries foreign interference - Jul 20, 2009
- Moussavi complains of arrests, as Iran stalemate continues (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
- Iran does not rule out expulsion of diplomats over protests (Lead) - Jun 22, 2009
- Germany grants asylum to 50 Iranian dissidents - Jul 24, 2010
- Police fire shots at Tehran protest, Moussavi warned over unrest - Jun 20, 2009
- Iran's Guardian Council offers Moussavi a deal - Jun 27, 2009
- Iran's opposition candidate Rezaei withdraws poll complaint - Jun 24, 2009
- Pro-Moussavi protestors in Iran demand new election - Jun 18, 2009
Tags: ali khamenei, ayatollah ali khamenei, barack obama, cbs, cbs news, clear signal, demonstrations, dpa, fraud, government crackdown, iran, iranian supreme leader, mahmoud ahmadinejad, moussavi, opposition candidate, protests, supreme leader ayatollah, supreme leader ayatollah ali khamenei, tenor, violence