Obama urges Israel to stop West Bank activitiesMay 29th, 2009 - 5:39 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 29 (Xinhua) US President Barack Obama has urged Israel to freeze Jewish settlement activities in the West Bank, reiterating Washington’s support for establishing a Palestinian state.
After meeting Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in the White House Thursday, Obama told reporters that Israel “must meet obligations” to halt Jewish settlement activities in the West Bank, and that Israel would recognise the two-state solution in its security interests.
Obama’s hard message to Israel came a day after Benjamin Netanyahu led government in Tel Aviv dismissed Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s call to freeze all Jewish settlement activities in the West Bank.
President Obama also urged the Palestinian side to stop anti-Israel violence and incitement. “I’m a strong believer in a two-state solution,” Obama said, adding that he was confident the peace process could be moved forward if all the parties meet their obligations they’ve committed to do.
Obama, however, added that he would not set an artificial timetable for the establishment of a Palestinian state.
President Abbas said he would not resume peace talks with Israel until it stops the settlement activities and accept the two-state solution.
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Israel should meet its obligations to revive peace: Abbas - Dec 31, 2011
- PM Netanyahu says U.S. rejected Israel's freeze proposal - Jan 04, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian UN bid not to be withdrawn even if talks resume: Abbas - Oct 11, 2011
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
- Obama advocates two-state solution in Middle East - May 20, 2011
- Clinton objects to Israel's settlement plans - Sep 05, 2009
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Obama convenes Mideast peace talks - Sep 01, 2010
- Israel to demolish all illegal West Bank outposts by end of year - Mar 08, 2011
- Palestinians reject Israeli conditions for peace deal - Aug 23, 2010
- Court orders halt to construction in Israeli settlement - Jan 24, 2011
- No talks until Israel meets its obligations: Abbas - Mar 18, 2010
Tags: bank president, barack obama, believer, benjamin netanyahu, hillary rodham clinton, incitement, jewish settlement, mahmoud abbas, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, palestinian side, palestinian state, peace process, peace talks, president mahmoud abbas, security interests, settlement activities, state president, west bank, xinhua