Obama updates military plans for IranMay 23rd, 2009 - 12:21 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 22 (DPA) The Pentagon has, at the request of President Barack Obama, updated its plans for using military force against Iran, Defence Secretary Robert Gates said Friday.
The US has not ruled out the possibility of a military strike if diplomacy fails to resolve the international dispute over Iran’s nuclear activities, Gates said.
“Presidents always ask their military to have a range of contingency plans available to them,” Gates told NBC television. “And all I would say is that, as a result of our dialogue with the president, we’ve refreshed our plans and all options are on the table.”
Obama has strongly backed the diplomatic effort to rein in Iran’s nuclear programme and is exploring ways to break with past American policies and open up one-on-one discussions with Tehran.
Obama said 30 years of trying to isolate Iran has failed to prevent the country from pursuing nuclear technology the West suspects is intended to develop an atomic bomb. Iran says its uranium enrichment programme is solely for meeting energy needs.
During a visit here by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Monday, Obama said that he would expect a positive response to his diplomatic overtures by the end of the year. Obama also said he will pursue tougher international sanctions if Iran does not comply with UN demands regarding its nuclear ambitions.
- Panetta vows military action against Iran - Mar 07, 2012
- Israel may attack Iran before US election: Report - Aug 23, 2012
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Obama sees no basis for Iranian attack on US - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran could develop nuke weapon of 'mass destruction' by 2012: UK Defence Secy - Feb 01, 2011
- Israel threatens 'military action' against Iran if it disobeys sanctions on nuke programme - Mar 19, 2011
- Still a window for diplomacy on Iran: Obama - Mar 06, 2012
- Majority of Israelis oppose unilateral Iran strike: Poll - Mar 08, 2012
- US to ask Israel to let sanctions affect Iran - Mar 04, 2012
- Iran seeking to build nuclear weapon: Cameron - Mar 07, 2012
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- US Congress passes new sanctions against Iran - Aug 02, 2012
- Netanyahu wants US to threaten attack on Iran - Feb 29, 2012
- Israeli minister demands air, sea blockade on Iran - Mar 06, 2012
- Israel 'plans attack on Tehran within months' - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: american policies, atomic bomb, barack obama, benjamin netanyahu, diplomatic effort, diplomatic overtures, enrichment programme, international dispute, international sanctions, israeli prime minister, military plans, military strike, minister benjamin netanyahu, nbc television, nuclear activities, nuclear ambitions, prime minister benjamin, robert gates, secretary robert, uranium enrichment