Obama touts plan for better math and science instructionFebruary 8th, 2012 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 8 (IANS/EFE) President Barack Obama announced Tuesday an $80 million plan to improve mathematics and science instruction in US public schools as one of his initiatives to revive the economy.
“(W)e’re a nation of tinkerers and dreamers and believers in a better tomorrow,” Obama said at the White House Science Fair attended by more than 100 students from all over the country.
“We know that innovation has helped each generation pass down that basic American promise, which is no matter who you are, no matter where you come from, you can make it if you try,” he told the students, praising them for “making sure America will win the race to the future”.
Obama said he will request Congress for the $80 million when he submits his 2013 budget next week.
The plan, to be administered by the Department of Education, would provide training for 10,000 science and math teachers while boosting to 1 million the number of students graduating in the sciences, technology, mathematics and engineering in the next decade.
Praising support from the private sector, the president said the Carnegie Corporation is leading a group of businesses and foundations that has created a $22-million fund to provide added support for this teacher-training programme.
The White House organized the science fair, which included innovative projects by more than 100 public-school students to highlight the benefits won by improving the teaching of science and math.
Since he came to power in 2009, Obama has emphasized the urgency of improving mathematics and science teaching in public schools as part of his plan to springboard economic recovery.
- Obama honours Indian American science teacher - Jun 08, 2010
- Brazil seeks association with US in education, science - Apr 04, 2012
- Science journalism pioneer dies - Aug 17, 2012
- Young minds not pursuing maths, says PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Indian innovation in education gets noticed in Qatar - Nov 02, 2011
- Obama to promote science on American TV show - Oct 19, 2010
- Guatemalan schoolteachers end protests - Feb 28, 2010
- Britain to set up special maths schools - Nov 27, 2011
- Wipro to train school teachers in US - Aug 29, 2012
- Meet Salman Khan, the one man global educator on Youtube! - Apr 26, 2011
- Indian-American teacher gets mentoring award from Obama - Jan 07, 2010
- Three Indian Americans get innovation, research awards from Obama - Oct 22, 2011
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Beijing English teacher wants to buy Obama speeches - Jul 10, 2012
- Intel India unveils plan to groom innovators - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,