Obama to visit South East Asia’s largest mosque in IndonesiaOctober 29th, 2010 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct. 29 (ANI): U.S. President Barack Obama will visit the Istiqlal Mosque in Jakarta, the largest mosque in Southeast Asia and the third largest Muslim house of worship in the world, during his swing through the country November 9 and 10.
White House national security aide Ben Rhodes said the visit is standard protocol for Obama, who visited the famed Blue Mosque while on a visit to Turkey shortly after his inauguration.
“When he visited Muslim-majority countries as president, he has often visited the most prominent mosques,” Politico quoted Rhodes, as saying.
Rhodes also cautioned against linking Obama’s statement about the controversial Park51 mosque project in New York and his visit to the Jakarta mosque.
“I would not conflate the two. When we planned to go to Indonesia in March, we planned to go to this same mosque,” he said. (ANI)
- 'Obama's Asia trip underscores re-engagement strategy' - Oct 29, 2010
- India, China to play key role on global issues: US (Lead) - Oct 29, 2010
- Obama postpones his Australia visit for third time - Sep 24, 2010
- Asia to play key role with rise of India, China: US - Oct 29, 2010
- Indonesian president to be chief guest at R-Day parade (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- Indonesia to be chief guest at R-Day parade - Oct 13, 2010
- Obama to celebrate Diwali with Indian kids - Oct 28, 2010
- Sikh Americans not buying Obama excuse for skipping Amritsar - Oct 28, 2010
- Young Muslims in Indonesia, Malaysia oppose polygamy - Jul 13, 2011
- US firms to sign large contracts on Obama's India visit - Oct 28, 2010
- 20 churches face demolition in Indonesia - Jun 13, 2012
- Obama envoy to visit India to engage with Muslims - Jul 31, 2010
- Obama India itinerary finalised, US says it regards India as cornerstone of its Asia policy - Oct 28, 2010
- Manmohan Singh unlikely to meet Obama at UN - Sep 17, 2011
- 'Little Obama' to chronicle US president's childhood - May 23, 2010
Tags: barack obama, blue mosque, house of worship, inauguration, istiqlal mosque, jakarta, mosque in indonesia, mosque project, mosques, muslim majority, national security, rhodes, south east asia, southeast asia, standard protocol, swing, turkey, white house