Obama to visit Korean DMZMarch 21st, 2012 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) US President Barack Obama will visit Sunday the demilitarized zone separating North and South Koreas, ahead of next week’s nuclear security summit in Seoul, the White House said.
The visit to the demilitarized zone that was established in 1953 after the end of the Korean War comes against the background of the US and other western powers’ efforts to convince North Korea to abandoning its plans on nuclear weapons.
“The first event that the president will do is he will visit the demilitarized zone, which will be an important opportunity for him to meet with and see some of the American troops who are serving on the Korean Peninsula, while also underscoring the strength of our alliance with the Republic of Korea and our strong commitment, of course, to their security,” the White House quoted Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes as saying during a conference call Tuesday.
Last week, North Korea announced plans to launch an earth observation to mark the 100th birthday of its late founding leader Kim Il-sung in April. The US and other countries suspect that the launch is a thinly veiled ballistic missile test.
The 2012 Nuclear Security Summit will be held in Seoul March 26-27 and will be attended by more than 53 heads of state and international organizations.
- US confronts China over North Korean rocket launcher - Apr 24, 2012
- Obama visits Korean demilitarised zone - Mar 25, 2012
- North Korea rocket launch fails (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- North Korea prepares for underground nuclear test - Apr 08, 2012
- Obama wants North Korea to drop rocket launch (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
- North Korea threatens to re-examine n-issue - Jul 21, 2012
- US welcomes North Korean invitation to n-experts - Mar 20, 2012
- South says North Korea ready to carry out nuclear test - Apr 24, 2012
- G-8 urges North Korea to cancel rocket launch - Apr 13, 2012
- UNSC condemns North Korean rocket launch - Apr 17, 2012
- North Korea's satellite plan provocative: US - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korea to launch satellite (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Japan to deploy interceptors to counter North Korean launch - Mar 20, 2012
- North Korea launches long-range rocket: reports (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: 100th birthday, american troops, ballistic missile, barack obama, demilitarized zone, earth observation, kim il sung, korean dmz, korean peninsula, korean war, launch, missile test, national security adviser, north korea, nuclear security, nuclear weapons, republic of korea, ria novosti, security summit, strong commitment