Obama to travel to Brazil, Chile, El SalvadorJanuary 27th, 2011 - 12:02 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 27 (IANS/EFE) President Barack Obama took a moment during his State of the Union address to the US Congress to announce a tour of Latin American nations.”This March, I will travel to Brazil, Chile, and El Salvador to forge new alliances across the Americas,” the president said Tuesday night.
It will be his first visit to South America and his third visit to Latin America.
The journey will be “an important opportunity to strengthen our alliances in the Americas”, National Security Council spokesman Mike Hammer said.
In Brazil, Obama will meet with new President Dilma Rousseff to discuss areas of mutual interest and contribute to developing the “excellent relationship” between the two countries, Hammer said.
Among the areas where US-Brazilian ties are strong, he cited clean energy, global growth, assistance to Haiti and development efforts.
In Chile, Obama will meet for the first time with President Sebastian Pinera to discuss greater bilateral and regional cooperation.
Chile, Hammer emphasised, “is one of our closest partners in Latin America” and has quickly become a regional leader in the area of nuclear security, clean energy and crisis management.
The third phase of the trip, El Salvador, will enable Obama to meet with President Mauricio Funes and to emphasise the “tight links” between the two countries, which are cemented by the large number of Salvadorans in the US and the economic activity that they contribute to creating, Hammer said.
- Brazil asks US for transfer of military technology - Apr 25, 2012
- Shakira asks Brazil president to back kids' projects - Mar 18, 2011
- US, Brazil agree to closer defence ties - Apr 10, 2012
- Three women tortured, killed in El Salvador - Jan 16, 2012
- Brazil announces plan to boost exports - Feb 18, 2012
- US wants Brazil as defense partner - Apr 26, 2012
- Over six mn Latin American, Caribbean kids not in school - Sep 01, 2012
- 'Two more Latin American presidents will get cancer' - Jan 05, 2012
- Salvadoran remittances rise - Mar 24, 2012
- China seeks expanded trade with Brazil - Feb 14, 2012
- `Colombia now South America's No. 2 economy' - Sep 01, 2012
- 'Latin America, Caribbean and India should build closer ties' - Jul 18, 2012
- El Salvador president apologises to civil war victims - Jan 18, 2010
- Don Omar to compose song for Jennifer Lopez's TV show - Feb 14, 2012
- Brazil seeks association with US in education, science - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: barack obama, clean energy, development efforts, economic activity, efe, emphasised, funes, global growth, latin america, latin american nations, mike hammer, mutual interest, national security council, new president, nuclear security, regional cooperation, regional leader, salvadorans, state of the union address, us congress