Obama to name Republican Huntsman as US envoy to ChinaMay 16th, 2009 - 4:20 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 16 (ANI): President Barack Obama plans to name Republican Utah Governor Jon M. Huntsman Jr. as ambassador to China, a senior administration official said.
Huntsman, who speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese, is often mentioned as a potential Republican presidential candidate in 2012, although some of his advisers think the party primary voters will be more prepared to accept his moderate views on the environment and gay rights in 2016.
Huntsman was in Washington on Friday night, ahead of a planned Saturday announcement by the White House, The Salt Lake Tribune reported. Several Utah news organizations said the governor would resign and accept the appointment.
Huntsman, 49, served a Mormon mission in Taiwan. The governor and his wife, Mary Kaye, adopted a daughter, Gracie Mei, from China in 1999. In 2006, he led a trade mission to China “because of their prominence on the world stage and the way in which they are growing so rapidly,” he told the Deseret Morning News of Salt Lake City.
The move has political ripple effects for both parties, giving Democrats one less potential challenger to worry about, and elevating the prospects for Romney and Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty. (ANI)
- Republican lawmaker Pawlenty apologizes for cap-and-trade support - May 01, 2011
- Huntsman quits US presidential race - Jan 17, 2012
- Republican presidential candidates spar over everything - Sep 08, 2011
- Mitt Romney slightly ahead of potential 2012 GOP presidential candidates: Poll - Jan 25, 2011
- US envoy to China 'resigns' eyeing 2012 presidential run against Obama - Feb 01, 2011
- How good are Obama's chances to win a second term? - Apr 05, 2011
- New Hampshire voters prefer Romney over Obama: Poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Obama likely to nominate Gary Locke as new US Ambassador to China - Mar 08, 2011
- Trump takes lead in GOP primary race, beats other Republicans: Poll - Apr 17, 2011
- Is Jon Huntsman planning for a Presidential run? - Feb 01, 2011
- US ambassador to China Huntsman hints at running for President in 2012 - Jan 03, 2011
- Pawlenty becomes first GOP 2012 Presidential contender to announce intention to run - Mar 22, 2011
- Romney wins New Hampshire Republican Party Committee Straw Poll - Jan 23, 2011
- Romney, Palin clear leaders for 2012 GOP presidential primary - Oct 01, 2010
- Most Americans can't name single GOP candidate: Poll - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: administration official, barack obama, deseret morning news, fluent mandarin, governor tim pawlenty, huntsman, mandarin chinese, mary kaye, minnesota governor, moderate views, mormon mission, republican presidential candidate, ripple effects, salt lake city, salt lake tribune, senior administration, tim pawlenty, utah governor, utah news, wife mary