Obama to meet Mexican President to sort out ‘tense’ relationsMarch 3rd, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 3(ANI): US President Barack Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon are set to meet to sort out heightened tensions over violence on their shared borders.
However, no major breakthroughs are expected on what is quickly becoming a defining issue in the relationship between the North American allies, CNN reports.
The meeting, scheduled today at the White House, comes three weeks after U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata was shot to death in Mexico with a gun smuggled in from the U.S.
The incident raised questions in the U.S. about Mexico’s ability to control violence and has Obama administration officials considering arming U.S. agents working across the border to ensure their safety.
Officials said White House has been working closely with Calderon’s government on how to protect U.S. personnel working in Mexico, but they would not say whether Obama would press the Mexican leader to allow U.S. agents to be armed. (ANI)
- Mexican President Calderon to make U.S. state visit - Mar 19, 2010
- Obama's daughter safe after Mexico quake - Mar 21, 2012
- US agent accused of buying guns for Mexican cartels - Apr 13, 2012
- Clinton praises Mexico's fight against drug cartels - Jan 26, 2011
- Fourteen dismembered bodies found in truck in Mexico - Jun 08, 2012
- President Calderon demands a thorough investigation on U.S.-Mexico border killings - Jun 11, 2010
- US, Mexico, Canada reaffirm commitment to security - Apr 03, 2012
- Obama, Clinton accept resignation of US envoy to Mexico - Mar 20, 2011
- U.S. and Mexico offer $5.8 million reward for information regarding shootings of 2 ICE agents - Mar 31, 2011
- Vice President Joe Biden visits Mexico - Mar 05, 2012
- Obama telephones Mexican president Calderon after Tony Tormenta's death - Nov 07, 2010
- Calderon says new Arizona immigration law causing discrimination - May 19, 2010
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to boost global economy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to strengthen global economy - Jun 15, 2012
- Rio Bravo Bridge Arms Bust Makes News - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: administration officials, american allies, barack obama, borders, cnn, immigration and customs enforcement, jaime zapata, mexican leader, mexican president felipe calderon, president felipe calderon, relationship, safety officials, tense relations, tensions, u s immigration and customs enforcement, violence, white house, working in mexico