Obama to host poetry party at White HouseMay 13th, 2009 - 12:31 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 13 (ANI): US President Barack Obama has invited writers and musicians to perform in what is being billed as the first White House poetry party.
Consolidating his reputation for cool after his performance as a stand-up comic on Saturday night, Obama has invited poets and writers, backed by jazz musicians, to perform in the East Room tonight.
According to The Guardian, it was originally billed as a poetry slam but the White House later corrected this, saying that a slam is a competition, which the president’s party was not. It was a jam.
Obama promised on the campaign trail that if he was elected, he would throw the White House open to as wide a range of people as possible. Tonight is intended as part of that.
But it is also because Obama is fond of poetry. He said on the campaign trail no one should graduate from university without having read poetry and has been spotted with a copy works from the Nobel Prize-winning poet Derek Walcott in his back pocket.
Two poems, Pop and Underground, by the president published in the literary magazine Feast in 1981 surfaced last year.
Since becoming president, the Obamas, who are often seen at theatre and concert halls round Washington much more than the Bushes, have hosted a series of cultural events at the White House. (ANI)
- Kurup, new young poets bring Malayalam poetry to centre-stage - Oct 02, 2010
- Urdu poetry blurs borders at Shankar-Shad 'mushaira' - Mar 24, 2012
- Odes to turbulent times, from India's 'bhasa' poets - May 22, 2012
- Ajneya a litterateur similar to Tagore: Hamid Ansari - Feb 22, 2012
- Assamese poet Hiren Bhattacharyya passes away - Jul 04, 2012
- Tagore gala begins in Spain with book, culture blitz - Sep 13, 2011
- Pritish Nandy returns to poetry after 25 years - Jan 28, 2011
- Poetry of truth prospers in India's lifestyle angst - Nov 02, 2011
- Poet-TV persona Pritish Nandy experiments with 140-character poetry (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Diplomat delights with poetry of promise (IANS Book Review) - Nov 07, 2011
- Bigots hissed, but no stopping carnival of letters (Lit Fest Review) - Jan 25, 2012
- Literary fests popularise books: Naseeruddin Shah - Jan 13, 2012
- Poetry and culture highlight of India Hay Festival - Nov 09, 2011
- Two-day special UNESCO tribute to Tagore's legacy - Sep 11, 2011
- Contemporary poets, storywriters to exhibit their oratory skills at Sahitya Akademi - May 02, 2011
Tags: barack obama, bushes, campaign trail, concert halls, derek walcott, feast, guardian, jazz musicians, nobel prize, poet, poetry party, poetry slam, poets and writers, reputation, saturday night, two poems, white house, white house washington