Obama to be served Lincoln-themed food on Inauguration dayJanuary 14th, 2009 - 4:46 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan 14 (ANI): US President-elect Barack Obamas inaugural ceremony will be a Lincoln-themed affair, according to reports.
The Democrat will not only swear keeping his hand on the bible used by the 16th president, but will also eat like him.
The Congressional Inaugural Committee announced yesterday that following the swearing-in ceremony on January 20, it would hold a luncheon that’’s modelled after foods Lincoln enjoyed.
In fact, part of the meal will even be served on replicas of the china picked out by First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln at the beginning of her husband’’s first term in office in 1861.
Honouring Lincoln’’s love of seafood, Obamas big day luncheon will feature appetizers including a seafood stew in puff pastry, scallops, shrimp and lobster.
As Lincoln enjoyed the root vegetables and wild game as a child in Indiana, the main course will have a “Brace of American Birds (pheasant and duck)” with sour-cherry chutney, served with molasses sweet potatoes.
The Lincoln-fest luncheon at Statuary Hall, a chamber of the Capitol building, will serve some 200 guests, including members of the Supreme Court, the incoming Cabinet and congressional leaders.
“It’’s always good to model yourself after a great president. The proof will be in the pudding,” the New York Post quoted Eric Foner, a professor of American history at Columbia University, as saying.
And for the dessert, the guests will enjoy an apple cinnamon sponge cake, which recalls Lincoln’’s love of apples.
To wash it all down, the luncheon will have several California wines.
Design Cuisine, a Virginia-based caterer, has been hired to make the meal. (ANI)
- A feast in the name of Lincoln, grander than what was on his plate - Jan 20, 2009
- Pumpkin Pie recipes - Nov 24, 2011
- Obama, rivals feast on American birds - Jan 21, 2009
- History at noon: Obama is US president (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Obama scripts history at noon (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- A Chennai restaurant's unique Saturday night dinner - May 25, 2012
- Spices stave off negative effects of fatty meals - Aug 11, 2011
- Hell's Kitchen: Cooking for the Marines - Nov 25, 2010
- Schedule of events for Barack Obama''s inauguration as 44th US President - Jan 19, 2009
- No foreigners at Egypt president's inauguration - Jun 29, 2012
- Kashmiri wazwan fest tickles Delhi's taste buds (Eating out with IANS) (With images) - Nov 15, 2009
- Obama's whistle-stop tour, links past with historic present (Lead) - Jan 17, 2009
- America greets its 44th President Barack Obama with a deafening roar - Jan 21, 2009
- Inaugural Committee warns Of crush-Level crowds - Dec 31, 2008
- Indian parantha with American omelette - enjoy! (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: 16th president, american birds, california wines, cherry chutney, columbia university, eric foner, inaugural ceremony, inaugural committee, inauguration day, lady mary todd lincoln, mary todd lincoln, members of the supreme court, new york post, president elect, puff pastry, root vegetables, seafood stew, sponge cake, statuary hall, sweet potatoes