Obama struggling with smoking ‘addiction’ every day, admits White HouseJune 13th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jun 13 (ANI): Even as US President Barack Obama congratulated Congress for passing tough new tobacco regulations, the White House admitted on June 12 that the commander-in-chief himself was still struggling to do away with his smoking ‘addiction’.
When White House spokesman Robert Gibbs was asked if the president still smoked, he replied that Obama has “a struggle with nicotine addiction” every day.
Obama has a long history of smoking, which goes back to his college days, evident from a photo of his that emerged during his campaign trail, but during the presidential campaign he is said to have chewed nicorette chewing gum in an effort to kick the habit.
Though the president dodged questions about his smoking at the start of his administration, Gibbs said he “assumed” the president still chewed the nicorette.
A substantial number of Americans too believe that Obama has still not kicked the habit, with 37 percent saying in a recent poll that they feel he still sneaks cigarettes into the White House.
With millions of Americans looking on, it would be huge struggle for Obama to quit the habit, though he has supported Congress’ effort to curb the urge of new smokers, and to lower the number of deaths each year.
“I’m proud the House and the Senate have acted swiftly and in overwhelmingly bipartisan fashion that will protect our kids and improve our public health,” Fox News quoted the president, a reformed smoker, as saying from the Rose Garden. (ANI)
- Obama finally kicks the butt, 'hasn't smoked for 9 months' - Dec 29, 2010
- Obama takes to nicotine gum to kick the butt - Dec 10, 2010
- Gibbs Claims Obama Hasn't Smoked in 9 Months - Dec 29, 2010
- Now a helpline to quit tobacco - May 29, 2012
- Johnson & Johnson launches nicotine gum in India - Dec 20, 2010
- Johnson & Johnson launches nicotine gum in India (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Want to quit smoking? Get professional help - Jan 04, 2011
- Jessica Simpson is addicted to nicotine chewing gum - May 02, 2010
- Jessica Simpson Reveals Nicotine Gum Addiction - May 02, 2010
- Obama said 'yes, we can' - and quit smoking - Dec 10, 2010
- US President Barack Obama has not smoked in a year - Feb 09, 2011
- Chewing your way to weight loss - Nov 22, 2011
- Doctors launch campaign for a tobacco-free Bangalore (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2011
- Gibbs blames over-ordered burgers, pies for Obama's rising cholesterol - Mar 02, 2010
- President Barack Obama's High Cholesterol Due To His Sweet Tooth - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: barack obama, bipartisan fashion, campaign trail, chewing gum, college days, commander in chief, fox news, nicorette, nicotine, nicotine addiction, presidential campaign, recent poll, robert gibbs, rose garden, smoker, smoking addiction, substantial number, tobacco regulations, white house spokesman, white house washington