Obama strongly backs building of Muslim community center, mosque near 9/11 siteAugust 14th, 2010 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 14 (ANI): US President Barack Obama has strongly backed the building of a proposed Muslim community center and mosque near ground zero in Manhattan, two blocks away from the site of the September 11 terror attack on the World Trade Center, saying that America’s commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable and “Muslims should enjoy the same rights” as believers of any other religion in the country.
“As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country.” The New York Times quoted Obama, as saying.
Although, he said, he understands the emotions that this issue engenders as ‘Ground zero’ is a hallow ground, he insisted that people of all faiths would be treated equally in America.
“This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are,” he added.
Obama made the comments at an annual dinner in the White House State Dining Room celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
Last week, the New York authorities removed the final construction hurdle for the project, and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg spoke forcefully in favour of it.
Meanwhile, aides to Obama have revealed that the President had always felt strongly about the proposed community center and mosque, but the White House did not want to weigh in until local authorities made a decision on the proposal. (ANI)
- Obama backs controversial mosque at 9/11 Ground Zero - Aug 14, 2010
- President Obama defends Muslim right to build mosque near 9/11 terror attack site - Aug 15, 2010
- Obama backs off from his previous stance on mosque near 9/11 site - Aug 15, 2010
- 9/11 families criticise Obama for backing mosque near Ground Zero - Aug 17, 2010
- Ninth 9/11 anniversary marked by controversy as relatives gather - Sep 11, 2010
- Anti-mosque building campaign rising to a new level in US - Aug 08, 2010
- Plans for mosque near New York's 'Ground Zero' intensifying national debate - Jul 31, 2010
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- 7 in 10 New Yorkers want proposed mosque away from Ground Zero: Poll - Sep 03, 2010
- White House ducks 9/11 Ground Zero mosque project bouncer - Aug 05, 2010
- NYC Landmarks Board gives go-ahead for mosque near Ground Zero - Aug 03, 2010
- New York Governor Paterson to meet with 'Ground Zero mosque' developers to discuss possible relocation - Aug 18, 2010
- Obama does not regret support for building of "Ground Zero" mosque - Aug 19, 2010
- Way Cleared for Controversial Mosque Near Ground Zero - Aug 04, 2010
- Mosque Likely To Be Constructed Near Ground Zero - May 10, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,