Obama steps out in jeans and sneakers in hometown ChicagoFebruary 16th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago, Feb.16 (ANI): There is some truth to the oft-repeated saying that there is no place like home. Such is the case, it seems , with the First Family of the United States the Obamas.
They are spending this weekend at their Chicago neighborhood. Having arrived in the city on Air Force One, the Obamas Barack, Michelle, their two daughters and Michelles mother boarded Marine One, the presidential helicopter, on Friday evening at Chicagos OHare airport, and landed in a park along Lake Michigan in Chicagos South Side, a seven-minute motorcade ride from the Obamas Hyde Park home.
The rest of their first trip home since moving to Washington in early January was a three-day study in requited affection between a president and his home city, the Washington Post reports.
The Obamas relished their time at home. The president was back at his old workout haunt, the gym at Regents Park, the luxury apartment complex where his friend Michael Signator lives.
Obama stayed at home on his first night in town. But he and Michelle Obama had Valentines Day dinner at a restaurant owned by Oprah Winfreys former personal chef. The president also stepped out in jeans and sneakers Sunday night and traveled a few blocks to his friend Marty Nesbitts house to watch the NBA All Star game.
Obamas visit was not without workhis is a round-the-clock job, after all. The president received his daily briefing throughout the weekend. He traveled with his press secretary, Robert Gibbs, and Michelle Obama brought along her deputy chief of staff, Melissa Winter. Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to the president and close friend of the family from Chicago, also made the trip.
Obamas proximity was the talk of Chicago. If you see the streets blocked off and big flashing lights, a bartender at The Grill on Michigan Avenue explained to a customer Friday night, youll know its him.
A local news channel ran a report on how the Obamas Hyde Park home has become a magnet for touristssome of them venturing out to the neighborhood this past weekend to try to catch a glimpse of the president.
Small crowds gathered on street corners to watch his much-lengthier motorcade whiz by. Local restaurants feature menus listing President Obamas Favorites, and an ad on V103 boasts that its the presidents radio stationfollowed by a sound bite on the R and B station from Obama circa when he was a senator, saying he listens to the V103 because hes over 40.
The weekend reprieve followed a big victory for Obama on his economic stimulus plan.
He returns to Washington on Monday, where he faces a busy weeksigning the stimulus bill into law in Colorado on Tuesday, spending the night in Phoenix, Arizona before unveiling his plans to stem home foreclosures on Wednesday and then traveling to Canada on Thursday in his first trip abroad as president. (ANI)
- President Obama Spends 49th Birthday Home Alone - Aug 04, 2010
- Today is US President Barack Obama's 49th birthday - Aug 05, 2010
- Bill Murray 'to play ex US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt' - Mar 31, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth welcomes President Obama, Michelle - May 24, 2011
- Obama takes helicopter for 6-mile trip - Aug 08, 2010
- Obamas' to holiday in oil spill-free Gulf Coast to end public stigma - Jul 23, 2010
- Michelle Obama to represent Chicago Olympic bid - Sep 12, 2009
- Obamas have quiet Valentine's Day dinner in Chicago - Feb 15, 2009
- Michelle Obama arrives in South Africa - Jun 21, 2011
- How laughter keeps Michelle Obama's love life alive - Feb 14, 2011
- Obama's 49th b'day: home alone with grey hair and Winfrey, but no cake - Aug 05, 2010
- Olympics 2016 presentations get underway (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Oct 02, 2009
- Obama celebrates 50th birthday with friends, family - Aug 05, 2011
- Obama to celebrate 49th birthday without family - Aug 01, 2010
- Friends accept that `Plain old Barack is gone'' - Nov 24, 2008
Tags: air force one, chicago neighborhood, deputy chief of staff, friend marty, friend michael, hometown chicago, hyde park, luxury apartment, michelle obama, nba all star, nba all star game, nesbitts, ohare airport, oprah winfreys, presidential helicopter, regents park, robert gibbs, secretary robert, signator, washington post