Obama says news of steroid use in baseball depressingFebruary 10th, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb.10 (ANI): Addressing his first press conference after assuming charge as the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, said on Monday that it was depressing to know that steroids are making such a huge impact in a popular sport like baseball.
“I think it’’s depressing news on top of what’’s been a flurry of depressing items when it comes to Major League Baseball. And if you”re a fan of Major League Baseball, I think it tarnishes an entire era to some degree, CBS quoted Obama as saying at the event that was attended by 156 reporters.
And, it’’s unfortunate, because I think there are a lot of ball players who played it straight. And the thing I”m probably most concerned about is the message that it sends to our kids, he added.
Making a reference to baseball star Alexander Rodriguezs (A-Rod) reported tryst with steroids, Obama said: What I”m pleased about is Major League Baseball seems to finally be taking this seriously, to recognize how big of a problem this is for the sport, and that our kids, hopefully, are watching and saying ”You know what? There are no short cuts.” That when you try to take short cuts, you may end up tarnishing your entire career. And your integrity’’s not worth it. That’’s the message I hope is communicated.”
Yankees slugger A-Rod has been hitting the headlines these days because of his close friendship with singer Madonna, and for having tested positive for anabolic steroid use in 2003, according to sources.
Rodriguez is on a list of 104 players who tested positive for steroids during Major League Baseball”’’s 2003 survey testing season, sources said.
The list was supposed to remain confidential, reports the New York Daily News.
The positive test was first reported on Sports Illustrated”’’s Web site Saturday morning.
According to the SI report, Rodriguez tested positive for testosterone and the anabolic steroid Primobolan.
He was the American League MVP that season with the Texas Rangers and winner of the home run title. (ANI)
- Madonnas close pal A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 2003 - Feb 08, 2009
- Baseball icon Alex Rodriguez admits to steroid use - Feb 10, 2009
- Sheen took steriods during 'Major League' shoot - Jul 07, 2012
- A-Rods ex-wife shares his tears during confessional interview - Feb 11, 2009
- Baseball's Red Sox duo Ortiz and Ramirez tested for doping - Jul 31, 2009
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- A-Rod took steroids as teen, and while with Yankees, claims new book - Apr 30, 2009
- I'm innocent, want to leave India: Ukrainian coach (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- Cameron Diaz shows off her new haircut - Jan 04, 2012
- Cameron Diaz planning film with new lover - Mar 24, 2011
- Cameron Diaz & Alex Rodriguez Split - Jun 03, 2011
- Diaz, A-Rod moving in together? - Jun 08, 2011
- A-Rod Cooperating With Feds Investigating Tiger Woods' Doctor - Mar 03, 2010
- Sex keeps me young, says Cameron Diaz - Jun 04, 2010
Tags: 44th president, american league mvp, barack obama, baseball star, confidential reports, integrity, major league baseball, new york daily news, popular sport, president of the united states, primobolan, saturday morning, short cuts, singer madonna, sports illustrated, steroid use in baseball, steroids, testosterone, yankees slugger, york daily news