Obama refutes McCain’s ’socialism’ attacksOctober 23rd, 2008 - 3:20 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 23 (DPA) Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama Wednesday refuted attacks by Republican rival John McCain that he was advocating socialism by wanting to raise taxes on the wealthier, saying the McCain campaign was grasping at desperate straws.Over the past week, McCain, 72, who is lagging behind Obama in the backstretch to the Nov 4 elections, has drawn enthusiastic “boos” from supporters whenever he mentions that Obama wants to “spread the wealth”.
In a radio address Saturday he likened Obama to Europe’s “Socialist leaders who so admire my opponent”.
Running mate Sarah Palin has gone so far as to say Obama wants socialism because he wants to cancel the tax cuts put through under the Bush administration for people earning more than $250,000 a year. Instead, Obama wants to give tax breaks to the broad middle and working class.
In Florida, Republican Senator Mel Martinez, a Cuban immigrant, has even compared Obama’s plan to the communism of Cuba and Fidel Castro.
Obama said the McCain campaign’s use of such “implausible” arguments was an “indication they have run out of ideas”.
He pointed to McCain’s own opposition to President George W. Bush’s proposed tax cuts for the wealthy during the 2000 campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.
“Was John McCain a socialist in 2000″ for opposing Bush’s ideas? Obama asked.
Obama, 47, was answering questions after delivering a speech on foreign policy in Richmond, Virginia.
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Meghan McCain Writes On 'Dirty Sexy Politics' - Sep 01, 2010
- John McCain supports Paul Ryan - Aug 13, 2012
- Sarah Palin ruined 2008 elections for Republicans, says Bush - Nov 06, 2010
- US must support India's Security Council bid: McCain (Lead) - Nov 06, 2010
- Obama has "learned a lot" in two years of presidency: McCain - Jan 24, 2011
- GOP voters now active on social networking sites for 'political purposes' like Democrats - Jan 28, 2011
- Trump not a "serious" presidential candidate: Republican senator McCain - May 02, 2011
- President Barack Obama & John McCain Draw In Crayons At The Health Summit - Feb 26, 2010
- Clash of opinion between McCain-Palin over Obama's role as US President - Jan 16, 2011
- Former Florida Governor Bush endorses Senator John McCain for re-election - Mar 11, 2010
- I'd consider a post in the Obama Administration, says Arnie - Dec 19, 2010
- John McCain endorses Mitt Romney - Jan 05, 2012
- US senator wants bilateral investment treaty with India - May 15, 2012