Obama postpones his Australia visit for third timeSeptember 24th, 2010 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 24 (ANI): To the disappointment of many Australians, U.S. President Barack Obama has postponed his visit to the country for the third time by re-scheduling it to Indonesia in November, where he once lived as a boy.
Earlier, Obama postponed an Indonesian and Australian visit twice this year, to focus on passing his health care package through the US Congress and to deal with the Mexico oil spill.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Obama called off his plans for the third time to make his first visit as President to the Muslim-majority nation following his New Delhi sojourn.
“I will continue to Indonesia, the world’s largest Muslim-majority country,” Obama said.
In Indonesia, Obama would reportedly stress the country’s emerging economic weight and the role of the world’s most populous Muslim nation in battling extremism.
Earlier this month, the US Ambassador to Australia, Jeff Bleich, said he expected the president to eventually make it to Australia.
“We’re already working on when he is going to come back here. He will be back here,” the paper quoted Bleich, as saying at an Australian Strategic Policy Institute luncheon last week.
Obama’s visit to Indonesia would reportedly allow him to speak directly to the Islamic world in the world’s largest Muslim-majority country, following rows over plans to build a Muslim cultural centre in New York and a US pastor’s cancelled plans to burn Korans. (ANI)
- Obama to visit South East Asia's largest mosque in Indonesia - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Obama's Asia trip underscores re-engagement strategy' - Oct 29, 2010
- After postponing Oz trip twice, will Obama make it this time? - Sep 17, 2010
- Obama again postpones trip to Indonesia, Australia and Guam - Jun 04, 2010
- Pak NGO condemns pastor's Quran burning proposal, urges Obama to chip in - Sep 11, 2010
- Iranian ayatollah calls for arrest of US Koran-burning pastor - Sep 09, 2010
- US Koran-burning pastor says will fight all moves to bar him from UK - Dec 13, 2010
- Indonesian president to be chief guest at R-Day parade (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- Indonesia to be chief guest at R-Day parade - Oct 13, 2010
- Crusade against Muslims costs 'Ground Zero' Koran-burning pastor his flock - Nov 17, 2010
- Man arrested in England for allegedly burning Koran - Jan 21, 2011
- American Flag Burning Planned By UK Based Muslim Radicals - Sep 11, 2010
- U.S. government, Interpol warn of violent anti-U.S. demonstrations around the world - Sep 10, 2010
- Quran burning would be a recruitment bonanza for Al Qaeda: Obama (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Obama better than Bush, so no protests, say Indian Muslims - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: australia visit, australian strategic policy institute, australians, barack obama, bleich, extremism, health care package, islamic world, luncheon, mexico oil, morning herald, muslim majority, muslim nation, oil spill, sojourn, strategic policy institute, sydney morning herald, third time, time washington, us congress