Obama “our quarterback” to win Olympic bid for Chicago: DaleyMarch 29th, 2009 - 6:11 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago, Mar 29 (ANI): Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has declared President Barack Obama “our quarterback” who will help bring the Olympic Games to the city.
Daley fresh from a Denver trip to promote the Chicago’s Olympic bid, said, “This is the United States of America, and the person who’s our quarterback is President Barack Obama.”
“He is the one who will go to Copenhagen” to present the city’s final pitch to the International Olympic Committee in October, The Chicago Sun Times quoted him, as saying.
Daley noted that Russian leader Vladimir Putin pushed successfully to bring the 2014 Winter Games to Sochi, while former British Prime Minister Tony Blair spent three days in Singapore with IOC members to win the 2012 Summer Games for London.
Chicago is competing for the 2016 Olympics against Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro and Madrid. All three have national government guarantees backing the entire costs of their bids, unlike Chicago.
However, IOC President Jacques Rogge said on Friday that Chicago doesn’t necessarily need full government guarantees. He said the bottom line is a strong guarantee and that he is “quite sure Chicago is able to deliver.”
Daley said Rogge’s remarks were encouraging and improves the city’s chances. (ANI)
- Chicago, Tokyo lose out in Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Olympics 2016 presentations get underway (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Oct 02, 2009
- Rio gets 2012 Games, to put South America on Olympic map (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Samba Olympics - Rio gets thumbs up from IOC - Oct 03, 2009
- Obama bound for Copenhagen to push Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Six new events for 2014 Winter Olympics - Apr 07, 2011
- Obama may get Chicago 2016 Olympics - May 05, 2009
- Obama under fire for taking Chicago's Olympic bid trip - Oct 02, 2009
- Song of victory for Brazil's marvellous city - Oct 03, 2009
- Passionate Rio upstages Obama's Chicago, others before IOC - Oct 02, 2009
- Rio gets 2016 Games to put South America on Olympic map(Second Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Obama to make final push for Chicago's Olympic bid - Oct 02, 2009
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games - Mar 03, 2012
- Rio's choice opens door for Africa, Munich - Oct 04, 2009
Tags: 2014 winter games, 2016 olympics, barack obama, british prime minister, british prime minister tony blair, chicago mayor richard daley, chicago sun times, former british prime minister tony blair, international olympic committee, ioc members, jacques rogge, mayor richard daley, minister tony blair, olympic bid, prime minister tony blair, richard daley, russian leader, sochi, tony blair, vladimir putin