Obama offers full support to Sikhs who have enriched US (Lead)August 6th, 2012 - 9:18 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 6 (IANS) Calling Sikhs “a part of our broader American family”, President Barack Obama has promised his administration’s full support to the response and investigation of Sunday’s rampage at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin.
“As we mourn this loss which took place at a house of worship, we are reminded how much our country has been enriched by Sikhs, who are a part of our broader American family,” he said in a White House statement.
“My administration will provide whatever support is necessary to the officials who are responding to this tragic shooting and moving forward with an investigation,” Obama said.
And from Boston, Obama’s Republican challenger, Mitt Romney, called the slayings “a senseless act of violence and a tragedy that should never befall any house of worship”.
His and wife Ann’s hearts, Romney said, “are with the victims, their families, and the entire Oak Creek Sikh community”.
Statement by the US president on the shooting in Wisconsin:
“Michelle and I were deeply saddened to learn of the shooting that tragically took so many lives in Wisconsin.
“At this difficult time, the people of Oak Creek must know that the American people have them in our thoughts and prayers, and our hearts go out to the families and friends of those who were killed and wounded.
“My Administration will provide whatever support is necessary to the officials who are responding to this tragic shooting and moving forward with an investigation.
“As we mourn this loss which took place at a house of worship, we are reminded how much our country has been enriched by Sikhs, who are a part of our broader American family.”
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI hunts for motive (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI looks for motive, India shocked (Fourth Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- India shocked as FBI hunts for gurdwara killings' motive (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- US embassy mourns Sikh deaths in Winconsin - Aug 06, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Obama denounces Sikh Gurudwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- US assures India of full probe into gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Michelle Obama to meet gurdwara shooting victims' families (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Obama orders US flag at half mast after gurdwara killing - Aug 07, 2012
- PM expresses shock over US gurudwara killing - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooter motivated by hate: Romney - Aug 08, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: Obama calls Manmohan; conveys people's solidarity - Aug 09, 2012
- Sikh panel guides families in coping with shooting trauma - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: act of violence, arun kumar, barack obama, boston, hearts, house of worship, mitt romney, rampage, republican challenger, senseless act, sikh community, sikh gurdwara, sikhs, slayings, thoughts and prayers, tragedy, white house, wife ann